Scope question?

twshore

I have always wanted to purchase a super sniper 10x scope. Would it be a bad idea to use a fixed 10x scope on my ar for predator hunting? I always hunt with a partner who carries a shotgun for anything within 50yds. I am just curious to know if this is too much magnification and if my field of view will be to narrow?
Thanks for the help.

Fixed 10x wouldn't be my first choice way too much for anything close. If you're just looking to spend as little money as possible wait a few more wks and get a variable. I keep mine turned as low as possible all the time 3-4x is plenty out to 100yd, on target much faster than 10x and if something comes in where only you have a shot you won't be checking them for fleas. If I had to choose a fixed power for dogs it wouldn't be more than 4x or 6x max. Just my .02 what type rifle are you planning on using it or by the way?

You are right and thats what i figured i just wanted another opinion to help tell myself that 10x will be too much. I would have probably switched it around some between a 22-250 bolt and a 20 stainless match barrel AR

I only have one fixed power scope and that's on my .22lr it's a 4x just enough to reach out on occasion but fine for up close. On a 22-250 I'd look for variable 4.5-14x, or maybe a little more. Redfield has an awesome variable for around $250 I put a 4-12x40 on my new 243 and love it. They've got them in 6-18 but i didn't need that much power, longest shots for me are around 3-400yd tops and they're few and far between.

I hunt coyotes with a retired govt. trapper. For 25 years his main focus in life was to call in and kill coyotes and he was very good at it. He shot nothing but a custom .223 with a Leupold fixed 12 power scope and he never complained about it. Personally I feel that it is more magnification than I would want on the close shots but he learned how to make it work. Bottom line: you can make it work if you want to.

Do yall know of any decent scopes that are variable power with exposed turrets (MOA) that cost < $500

Just take a look through Nikon's selection, they should have something to tickle your fancy.
The M-223 series might be just about perfect, although you could even just buy a Prostaff for around $250 and leave the turret caps off if you need expose turrets.

I was tempted to mention Nikon (and Vortex), but I thought the initial replies were going to be that decent and <$500 were oxymorons. :rolleyes:
IMHO, if you really want to do routine turret cranking, the only scopes that are consistently (scope to scope) repeatable are Nightforces.

I just picked up a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 side focus with Mil-Dot from Cabela's for $269. I love them. This is my third one and it sits on my 22-250 in place of my Burris 12x fixed power. I have a Leupold 4.5-14 on my 30-338 and it is awesome, but twice the price.

I run a leupold AR 3-9. It works perfect on 3x most of the time and if ones hanging way out I'll just crank it up and use the mil dots for holdovers. You could make a 10x work but I like having the option to dial it back. Amazingly clear glass for 350$ish.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.