22-250 1 in 14 twist stabilize 75 gn AMax?

gphil

Im currently loading 55 grain v max bullets for my 22-250 and im shooting a ruger mkII with a 22 inch barrel. The twist rate is 1in 14 and i was wondering if anyone knew if this rate would stabilize a 75 grain Amax.

thanks for the help!

You are pretty much maxed out with those 55's in your 1-14tw.

Some of the 1-14tw 22-250 won't even shoot the new 53Vmax which is actually longer and has a higher bc than the 55's.

Sorry to say, but you have no chance of shooting the 75's in your 1-14.

Not happening. You'll need at least a 1x9 and optimally 1x8 for the 75 grainers.

You are pretty much maxed out with those 55's in your 1-14tw.

Some of the 1-14tw 22-250 won't even shoot the new 53Vmax which is actually longer and has a higher bc than the 55's.

Sorry to say, but you have no chance of shooting the 75's in your 1-14.

a 1:14 twist is good for a .25 B/C max. The new 53 grain Vmax has a B/C of about .29, and you'll need at least a 12 twist barrel. I recommend trying the Vmax and the Nosler BT in 55 grains. The Nosler has a slightly lower B/C and may shoot tighter groups for you.
gary

haha alright thats what I was thnking myself. I thought hornady used to put the twist rates required on their website? or even on the box? alright thanks for the help!

haha alright thats what I was thnking myself. I thought hornady used to put the twist rates required on their website? or even on the box? alright thanks for the help!

somewhere in my notes I have a formula to figure the needed twist rate for a certain bullet. Where it's at I don't know, but maybe somebody else has it, and can post it. I used to do the 180K rpm thing on impact (the old Walt Berger idea), but have found the newer formula to be pretty close if factored in correctly.
gary

We have a .22-250 sako A7 that shoots the 64gn bergers well. you should try some at least. The .22-250 we have has a 1 in 14twist barrel and shoots half inch groups with the 64gns. The load we use has a L.O.A of 63mm and 34gns of ADI AR2206H with Hornady cases and win primers. It is worth trying some slightly heavier bullets if your willing to muck about abit. You never know what might work. We used this load last week on a wallaby hunt and the bullets have the most awesome performance on small game.

Thanks for the input ill keep that in mind. I might just do that. wallaby hunting? where do you go about doing that at? are they considered a varmint/pest? or do you eat them? Thats pretty cool !!!

Thanks for the input ill keep that in mind. I might just do that. wallaby hunting? where do you go about doing that at? are they considered a varmint/pest? or do you eat them? Thats pretty cool !!!

They are in a small pocket in the south island of New Zealand and are considered a major pest problem. the property we hunt on has between 1500 and 3000 shot every year from a helecopter plus ground hunters and they are trying to poison them. fun for hunting not so good for the land owners

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.