22-250 Ackley loads with a 1-14 Twist

I have a friend who built one(22-250 AI) with a 1 in 16" twist.It would stabilize 55's ok with the added vevocity of the AI chamber.I do think it will work if you load it warm enough.
old bear

I bet he has a 12 twist barrel, and thinks he has a 16 twist. Most 55's will work in a 12 twist, but not always work in a 14 twist. Velocity has nothing to do with it, it's the rate of twist everytime. Many moons ago folks felt that it was the rpm of the bullet on impact, but that idea has gone south (I was an RPM guy). Now there is a formula that they figure using the B/C and the diameter multiplied with a guide number of your own choosing (I use .85).
gary

I haven't tested any 55g Bal Tips out of my dads Ruger Target 22-250 to know if it will shoot them. It has a 1 in 14 as well. He shoots the 40g right now, but wants to switch to the 50 or 55. When I say BT I mean ballistic tips. I guess I should be more specific. I like the 55g bal tip @3925fps out of my swift the best.

save your money cause it probably won't. The Nosler has a higher B/C than a V-max, and on paper they both look like they will. But you do the guide number and the Nosler just will not work. A good test is to load up a dozen rounds with the 55 BT's and another dozen with the 55 V-max. In a 14 twist barrel the Noslers will often keyhole at 100 yards, and almost always at 200 yards. The V-max will just punch nice round holes. I shoot V-max's most of the time out of my .223's with a 14 twist barrel. Shoot just fine, but will not begin to shoot a Nosler 55 grain BT. But if you drop down to a 50 grain BT they probably will shoot just fine. In my three 22-250's (12 twist barrels) I can shoot the Noslers, and a few 60 grain bullets.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.