20ga buckshot help

Blancoalex

Looking for tips on getting my Rem 870 20ga to pattern buckshot in 6" circle at 25yds. I have already tried 3 different chokes- Modified, Full, and Undertaker Turkey. All 3 at 25yds leave 4-5" hole dead center and only 1-2 pellets inside 6" . This barrel seems to shoot #6 and smaller best. Appreciate any help.

Not sure on buckshot has I have not shot any in quite some time. Have you looked into the TSS loads they are amazing in my wife's 20 ga. They hit as hard as loads twice their size and great patterns

Thanks

Buck

Thanks for your help, I do have Imp Cylinder I can try. In fact #3 buck was best tried so far. Softbal size at 25 yds is my goal!

What do you want to use it for??? Typically you want a more open choke for Lrge Buck. I knew one guy hunting with 000 buck and we told him to shoot it with a open choke. He put a Full choke in and pellets scattered in a giant pattern @50yrds and missed a deer.
I have a 870 - 18 1/8" 12 gauge for home protection and have it as "OPEN" choke. Did test shots at a 55 gal drum. All the pellets from 000 & 00 went into a 10" circle @ 15 yards.

Coyote Shadow Tracker that makes sense as with a tight choke it causes the pellets to hit each other and then ricochet off of each other rather then continue in a straighter path .

Coyote Shadow Tracker that makes sense as with a tight choke it causes the pellets to hit each other and then ricochet off of each other rather then continue in a straighter path .
It really depends on the size of the shot. If you see that newer Turkey/duck loads there is a "Buffering" compound between pellets to keep the shot pattern tighter with tighter chokes. If you take a 000 or 00 Buck shot load there is only several pellets. When the wad goes down the barrel the shot is compressed from force. When the wad is leaving the barrel and it is compressed by a full or x full at the last part of leaving the barrel those larger shot basically bounce off each other throwing the pattern off. If the larger shot 00 & 000 in the wad go down the barrel and leave evenly then the pattern stays tighter together.
Now when using bird shot and a good wad the wad does get tighter with tighter chokes, leaves the barrel with a tighter pattern and continues to stay more together. Look at your better turkey loads-they are #5 & 6 shot with buffering material between shot.x More pellets and tighter patterns. Not like the older #2 & 4 for turkey.

Thanks , I made up reload using my Undertaker Turkey choke using #6 copper plated and buffer that put almost the whole pattern inside 10in and plenty in 6" center circle. Just not sure # 6 "good enough" for coyote at 25yds.
#6 lead will absolutely crush a coyote at 25 yards. After 35 you may start to have a problem.

We used #4 out of the plane and chopper and were at farther then 25 yards with it . I personally liked #4 buck shot better then #4 shot (BB's ) . something like 29 vers 127 pellets , 20 " barrel with modified choke . It's all interesting and things to learn . It seemed that the #4 buck shot had more knockdown power at the ranges we were at even with the fewer pellets but they got to be hard to find and then cost prohibitive so #4 shot was then our go to .

Last edited:
Personally, I found many of our buckshot loads work better in IC or CB chokes. Our testing showed tighter chokes tend to deform the shot and cause more flyers and wider patterns. The best, meaning tightest, patterns we achieved were loads using copper plated, or zinc, shot and buffering fired from CB chokes.

Not sure on buckshot has I have not shot any in quite some time. Have you looked into the TSS loads they are amazing in my wife's 20 ga. They hit as hard as loads twice their size and great patterns

Thanks

Buck
What does TSS stand for? Not familiar with that acronym..