208 Gr. A Max in a 30-378

PaLuke

Hello everyone.
I was lucky enough to get a 30-378 in a Accumark for Christmas and I'm hoping to load some 208 gr. A Max bullets in it. I want to use them for target shooting and was wondering if anyone loads them in this caliber. I use 210 Bergers in my 300 Weatherby and would like to try something different in the new rifle. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Hope everyone has a great New Years. Thanks again.. PaLuke

You say you want to try something different? You might consider the 230 gr Berger target hybrid. This bullet is the highest BC of the production 30 cals. It would be great for LR targets or hunting. (read Broz' experience with it last year http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-230-300-otm-hybrid-terminal-results-80283/ )
Try the BC in your ballistics program and compare to 208 or 210 VLD to this:

230 berger target hybrid .743 (G1) .380 (G7)

While many are running H-1000 or Retumbo with their 30-378s you might want to give the new RL-33 a try. RL-33 has a long burning curve similar to RL-17's and is slower than Retumbo. I didn't have load data for my rifles but once I realized the approx burn rate I used Retumbo's higher charge weights as a starting point in several rifles. (6mm-284, 7 rem mag, 257 weatherby and 300 RUM)

The 300 RUM and got amazing velocity with a 24" barrel (long story on why this short barrel) and the 230s. 100 gr of RL-33 2975 fps. Imagine what your rifle could do! You will definately get over 3000 fps.

You asked.....

thank you for the reply.. Ill look into the 230's and see where I can buy some. I haven't shot this rifle at all yet and hopefully I'll start breaking it in today. Do the hybrids work better the long throat of the Weatherby's as opposed to the regular VLD's? Thank you again.

PaLuke,

Let me know if you shoot those 230 grain Hybrids! I think that they should work perfect out the the accumark. I have one that I got few years ago. I wanted to shoot the 210 VLDs out of it but really had a hard time getting it to shoot really well. Bout 1 1/2 at a 100 was the best I could get. I settled on the 180 grain Accubond, because I couldnt get the 200 grain accubond, and it shot about 1 1/4 maybe a little better. I used it for an elk hunt in Arizona. Too bad I never got a shot. My brother killed a nice buck with his, we have exact same rifles, at 700 and it never took a step. Sorry off topic.

I want to shoot those 230 as well. From what I have read they arent as picky as the VLDs in seating depth. Please keep us posted. Very interested in your results. Good Shooting! :)

Don't over look the 240SMK, not a super high BC...but has held the 1000 yard bench record many times.

I shot them at just over 3000 fps in my custom 30-378, SUPER accurate

What twist do you need in these bigger rounds to get the 230 Berger and 240 sierra to stabilize?? I was looking at the 240 for my rum as the 225 hdy is out of stock(another good big 30 cal bullet), but sierra is saying 9 twist and I have a 10.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.