208 AMAX, RL22 for 300 RUM? Data Anyone?

yoterunner

title says it all. New 300 RUM - working up some "starting" loads for barrel break-in and fire forming brass. Have RL-22 and 208 AMAX bullets on hand. [Will be using Retumbo and 210 VLD's after break in (unless the rifle really likes the 208 AMAX's).]

I cannot find specific info for this combination, but think that 86 Grains of the RL-22 would be a good starting point.

Can anyone confirm with there own proven data??

In my sendero i was using 96grns of retumbo and was getting 3150 fps with mild pressure signs ie. the primers were flattening out but the edges were still rounded and no marks on the case head from the ejector. Same with the burger 210. jeff

You can safely use the start loads for any 200gr bullet data and work up, this is what I did in both a 300WinMag and 300Weatherby with the 208Amax. I wouldn't drop the charges from the start loads, use them as they are.

If you have current hornady loading manual which i did not buy because no load data was listed for 208 A-MAX. So i emailed hornady and they replied that data for 220 gr. listed is the same as 208. I am getting excellent results w/90grs. retumbo.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.