300 RUM Loads with 208 Grain Amax

rangerman

I would appreciate any load data using the 208 grain Amax bullet in a 300 RUM. Hope to use the Retumbo powder that I have been testing loads for with the 210 Berger VLD but also have some Reloader 25 that may be useful in load development. Will be using Nosler brass and Federal 215 primers but can change if necessary.
Also, if you are using this bullet how far off the lands have you had the best accuracy with?
Thanks in advance for your advice and help!

I have been playing with just that load lately. I was going 93.0gr retumbo on top of the Fed primer with 3.605 oal in remington brass and getting 3100fps and about 1/2 moa then went to nosler brass and dropped to 90.5gr retumbo all other specs identical and getting 1/2moa and just under 3100fps. 10-15 fps std dev.
I've gone hotter with this combo and using 200gr NAB and my rifle just plain prefers to be launching these rocks at 3095fps for best accuracy.
I got some great loads with RL25 but the temp. sensitivity just plain sucks....nearlt 100fps variation from 80 to 30 degrees whereas the retumbo is staying under 10fps variation with the same temp difference.
I haven't tried h1000 yet but I've heard some good things on that front as well...but I'm getting 1/2moa out of a factory pipe so i don't know that i want to change whats working for me. Hope this helps.....

I have not got mine up and going yet, because I have not got my rifle done yet but going off of the a-max I plan to jump them about .060" with 83-85grns Imr 4350 or maybe 85-88grns Imr 4831 with CCI 250s, should give me about 3150 through a 28" 4 groove Brux but at that lenght you will need a mag extension.

I don't load for a 300 rum so I can't help you on powders or charges. I do load amaxes though in 6.5, 7, and 30 cal. Most have liked about .005 off the lands.

The load I found that has given me the best accuracy is 89.7 grains of Retumbo, Federal 215 primer, with Nosler brass using the Hornady 208 grain Amax. I have shot several great groups all under .5 MOA and one a .233 MOA. I am using a Remington Sendero with a custom 28" Douglas barrel, Vias brake, Jewell trigger, Sightron 10x50x60 scope with 1/8" target dot, Harris bipod, and the action has been bedded. The velocity is 3150 fps with no more than 10 fps difference in velocities showing on my chronograph.
I have used 210 Bergers in the past to successfully take elk and whitetails but have never used the Amaxes in a hunting situation. Will the Amaxes work on elk or will I need a different bullet? I feel comfortable with these for whitetail.
Thanks again to all who posted with their preferred loads.
I hope my load information will help those looking for a load with the 300 RUM and 208 grain Amaxes.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.