.204 Ruger for coyotes…

You guys that shoot .204's…please tell me some stories about your guns, barrels/lengths , bullets, powders, and velocities….what are your limitations? Thanks
26" with Berger 39gr SBK and H-4895 3,700+ FPS. 500yds on Chucks.
There are a few other LRH members that use for Yotes a lot. J-Reemty for one.

Last edited:
I'm shooting a 35 gr berger in Savage 10 bolt gun and in a RRA AR. I feel it hits just as hard as a 22-250 but less damage to fur. I switched from a 223 AR with a thermal to the 204 for the flatter trajectory, very hard to judge distance in the dark through a thermal. I've killed them out to 250 yards with the thermal. The bolt gun is for daytime and 350 has been my furthest shot. The 204 is no slacker. Same load in both guns 27.5 grs of H4895 3850 fps out of the savage, never checked speed out of the AR. I usually kill 50-75 a year here in the winter and the 204 has done well for me. Unfortunately I haven't been coyote hunting for 2 years now, **** wolf reintroduction screwed that all up

CZ rifle 25.5" barrel 29.6 grains AA2520 39 grain SBK 3900 fps, killed coyotes from 20 yards to 630 yards, from muzzle to 450 it's usually bang flop! This rifle has killed 125-130 total coyotes last 4 winters on weekends.
I was thinking of a 20 cal and then a member said his group lost a lot of yotes because of a twenty. Thanks for posting your results. I might do a 20 Practical in an AR15.

There has been some that have lost coyotes in our area with the 32 grain Vmax on an angled shoulder blade shot, but I have never lost one with the 39 SBK, it will poke right thru the blade. Most body shots are bang flop! The plastic tip so also the hollow point underneath on the 39 SBK is larger than the 40 Vmax bullet.. my experience with it is, for killing coyotes and minimal fur damage, it is just what I need.
I am seeing 204 ruger brass showing up everywhere here.