204 Ruger options? Tikka? Ruger?

I have a Ruger Ultralite in 204 and an AR with a White Oak Armament upper in 204. I really like both of them. I got the Ruger first and it liked 32 grain Hornady Vmax factories but really didn't like the 40 grain Vmax. The 32 grains shot between .5 and .6 inch groups. The 40 grains were 1.5 inch and up. After a few boxes of factory loads, all I've shot have been reloads. Currently I am shooting Berger 35 grain in both rifles. Like Old Turtle said, most 204's that I have been around really have a definite preference for one bullet over others. I wanted to shoot 40 grains in both my rifles but neither one of them shot them well. I will always go with what the rifle likes over what I like. Right now, the 204 is my favorite calling caliber.
Do you have any feeding issues with your AR upper? I love the way mine shoots, .25-.5 MOA with most anything, but it jams up the rounds and puts a dent into a case every so often. It's a Shilen barrel on a billet upper. I was going to try a Kalikey, but it didn't work on the non milspec upper. If I was going to do a 20 caliber AR again, it'd be a 20 Tactical.

Do you have any feeding issues with your AR upper? I love the way mine shoots, .25-.5 MOA with most anything, but it jams up the rounds and puts a dent into a case every so often. It's a Shilen barrel on a billet upper. I was going to try a Kalikey, but it didn't work on the non milspec upper. If I was going to do a 20 caliber AR again, it'd be a 20 Tactical.
My shilen does good. As well as x-caliber and apf 204 ar barrels. I had a lilja ar barrel that was really bad. They left a bur on the mouth of the chamber that would do what you described. I sent I back to lilja 3 times to get it right and they never figured it out. You may what to try taking some fine sand paper to the edge of the chamber to smooth it out a little. On my shilen I noticed a spot kinda similar that looked like it may cause an issue, but it never did and that one ran fine for me. Also try the g.i. mags. They ran better for me than unmodified pmags. Good luck. Hope this helps.

I've heard others have had this issue and thought it was mag related. The case would release too soon and then run into the feed ramp at the wrong angle and dent the case body enough so it wouldn't chamber. Some have said it may have to do with the fitment of the mag in the action. I'll try what you've suggested too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.