2022 Meat Pole

Muzzloader season in Colorado

Attachments

• 4F106D6C-F14F-435C-AE36-FD7C74AE1085.jpeg
    4F106D6C-F14F-435C-AE36-FD7C74AE1085.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 463
That cat sends a shiver up my spine! Especially since he wasn't afraid of your dogs. And maybe you as well. Very nice job.
I hate cats,

What I wanted to say is I've been on a large property that has a lot of DIngoes and few foxes but plenty of feral cats.

For reference I think a Dingo might be comparable to a Coyote in size.

I asked why there are cats to be found but few Foxes. The manager said dogs (DIngoes) kill foxes . He said the cats survive because they have to many pointy bits. Seems feasible they claw at the dogs.

I guess the cats you have are weary of the dogs more than scared. The dogs might scent them but guess cornered the cats have claws.

Happy hunting this fall.

Took this big Tom a few days ago on my property in north Idaho.
He's been eating everything on my mountain for the past 8 weeks. I had to wait for season to start.
I recognized a pattern he developed and he became complacent. He also wasn't afraid of me or my dogs.
I was waiting for him. 110 yards with a Armalite AR-10 (T) .308, 168 gr. He still ran 50 yards with no heart or lungs.
121 pounds of killing machine. I am 5'-10", 175 pounds for reference.

I hope you ate him, they're very good table fare😜. At least the ones i've had the pleasure of sharing in.

I hope you ate him, they're very good table fare😜. At least the ones i've had the pleasure of sharing in.
I did actually. I cut the backstraps out and cooked him up.
The meat was very lean. Typical bland predator meat. Cooked it hot and fast in a skillet with Ghee (clarified butter) and pork fat to an internal temp of 155* f. It cooked similar to lean pork. The meat absorbed the flavor of the spices well. I will try breading it and frying it next time. It had a unique odor. Not bad , just different. The meat was also a little chewy. There are better animals to eat though.

Hope others are doing well….. rifle season in CO is a few weeks out, not sure on other states!

I would like to see a few archery harvests. My first deer as a kiddo was archery!

Last edited:
I did actually. I cut the backstraps out and cooked him up.
The meat was very lean. Typical bland predator meat. Cooked it hot and fast in a skillet with Ghee (clarified butter) and pork fat to an internal temp of 155* f. It cooked similar to lean pork. The meat absorbed the flavor of the spices well. I will try breading it and frying it next time. It had a unique odor. Not bad , just different. The meat was also a little chewy. There are better animals to eat though.
Your a better man than me. I wouldn't eat it, wouldn't have considered it being an animal to eat.
I was surprised to find people eat Bear but it seems Black Bear are primarily herbivores so doesn't seem so bad

I only get these and coons until season opens. They come in spurts, starts with 1 nosing around the coop and feed bins and ends up with a bucket full of swine. Last bunch I hauled off was piglets and sows, 2 trips about 12 -15. Mossberg 930 with extended magazine and #4 buck makes quick work on the smaller ones. These, I chose the 6mm ARC.

DF921157-0142-48BD-BC7C-F284FF07BDC0.jpeg
2F7ED34D-682E-4825-B903-8456766187D4.jpeg
D2A2CDB1-BA38-498B-9997-0F0AB21A5E2C.jpeg

My father-in-law and I started applying for and planning this hunt the year after my wife and I were married. I lucked out and drew this year and this ram is the result. I'm honored to have him as my father-in-law and to share this and many other hunts in the past with him. Looking forward to him drawing this tag in the next few years.
Also a huge thanks to @catorres1 for his and his sons help with this hunt. They put on some serious miles with me, took time off work and away from home to be here.
20220916_100019.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1663425233442.jpg
    FB_IMG_1663425233442.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 153