2020-best long range scope

I'm looking for a great scope for my Weatherby MK V 338-378 Arroyo. I have the same rifle chambered in 300 Win. Sporting a Leupold VX6. I want a better scope for the 338-378. I would like it to be mil in FFP and worthy of competition and long range hunting. I would like the scope to be worthy of the next custom rifle that can handle 100-2000 meters. World class for 2020. Thanks

I don't understand at all why you would even consider a FFP scope for hunting. SFP is way more practical. That being said and if the weight isn't objectionable I really like the Nightforce ATACR in either 5-25 or 7-35 for your application. Both can be had in SFP with the MOAR reticle. I don't recommend the MOART reticle for big game hunting due to it being a bit thin for rapid target acquisition.

C553 5-25x56
https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/atacr/atacr-5-25x56-f2

C626 7-35x56 available in MOART but not MOAR
https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/atacr/atacr-7-35x56-f2

I had an NX-8 in 4-32 and found it to be totally unusable for a hunting application on lower powers because the FFP reticle all but disappears and even with the illumination turned on it was still almost invisible. I traded it...

The VX6 HD in 4-24x52 with the T-MOA reticle is my lightweight choice for a long range hunting rifle but I see that you're looking to spend more. You may not get more... ;)

If you truly want a scope for competition AND hunting then you'll have to live with a compromise and that's not acceptable for the ultimate rifle in my opinion. Besides... I also don't think that a competition rifle is a practical hunting rifle and the reverse is true as well.

Just one old crusty curmudgeon's subjective opinion that's probably worth about what you paid for it.

Owning both the ATAC-R, F1 in both 5x25 and 7x35, you are right about the higher power range being too much on the low end for hunting and frankly, for PRS as well where typical ranges are similar to hunting ranges 100-1000 yards. Also, it's a bit longer and heavier. Glass in both is very close to the S&B, which IMO is Top Tier.

I don't understand at all why you would even consider a FFP scope for hunting. SFP is way more practical. That being said and if the weight isn't objectionable I really like the Nightforce ATACR in either 5-25 or 7-35 for your application. Both can be had in SFP with the MOAR reticle. I don't recommend the MOART reticle for big game hunting due to it being a bit thin for rapid target acquisition.

C553 5-25x56
https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/atacr/atacr-5-25x56-f2

C626 7-35x56 available in MOART but not MOAR
https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/atacr/atacr-7-35x56-f2

I had an NX-8 in 4-32 and found it to be totally unusable for a hunting application on lower powers because the FFP reticle all but disappears and even with the illumination turned on it was still almost invisible. I traded it...

The VX6 HD in 4-24x52 with the T-MOA reticle is my lightweight choice for a long range hunting rifle but I see that you're looking to spend more. You may not get more... ;)

If you truly want a scope for competition AND hunting then you'll have to live with a compromise and that's not acceptable for the ultimate rifle in my opinion. Besides... I also don't think that a competition rifle is a practical hunting rifle and the reverse is true as well.

Just one old crusty curmudgeon's subjective opinion that's probably worth about what you paid for it.
I heard bells ringing. You know truth when you hear it. I know so well every tool has a purpose and intended use. If I had to identify this rifles purpose it would be 300-1400m hunting. I was hoping there might be a scope that would fill the long range competition also(or even extreme long range). I thought illuminated might solve the thin reticle problem.
Thanks for the great advice everyone.
I'm looking for that beautiful unicorn that has to be out there. Or a zebra that will get me close.

Last edited:
While my LRH rifles are all fitted with SFP scopes, I decided to give a FFP a try on an Alberta hunt this past season. I borrowed the S&B PMII with P4F reticle off of one my PRS rifles. To my eyes it has the best glass I've personally looked through, an excellent reticle design and weighting across the power range, and a very good lighted reticle control. After many days If use I have to say that I don't see all the fever about having to use an SFP for hunting....other then cost. In fact, I found that not having to be conscious of my power setting to be at my reticle substension for windage correction an attractive feature. The reticle weighting at high magnification/long range was fine enough for any shot on game I would take. Of course, the optical quality of the S&B in hunting conditions was quite noticeable and I'm now spoiled. Overall, I'd conclude that the particular FFL scope and reticle selection is an important factor. The changing reticle size wasn't that big a deal and didn't distract or effect accuracy. I think that with the right FFP scope/reticle it's possible that overall performance could be be equal or better then an SFP. I now have a different perspective on this.

Since hunting is sometimes hard on scopes, and taking a "spare" is not a good option, strength and durability are prime criteria for me. I don't want a scope with great repair CS, I want one that will likely never need repair. I go with NF. If the S&B glass is better than the glass in my ATACRs, I'm sorry, I just cannot see it. Both are incredible. The ATACR glass is a bit better than my NXS'.

My favorite reticle is the MOAR-T, but while my old eyes can see it just fine, some people say they have difficulty. Okay, then go with the MOAR. FFP vs. SFP is purely a personal preference thing. I go with SFP because when I am scanning for game at low power I don't like having that big ball of twine right in the middle of the picture.

t9no.jpg

Could you give me your thoughts on reticles for your scopes and your preferences.
Thanks
ZCO has two options.
MPCT1 is a standard reticle, .2 MIL/.5MIL subtensions with small floating center dot. Heavy outer stadia past 8MIL draws your eye in on lower magnification.
20190907_095739.jpg

MPCT2 is the same main reticle plus an added "Christmas tree" below.

Both very usable. Subtensions come.into play at about 6-7X depending on your eyesight.

Tangent Theta has 4 reticles to choose from. Gen 2 Mil-dot, Gen 2XR, Gen 3XR, MOA. Mine all have the Gen 2XR. .5MIL subtensions, fine lines, heavy outer stadia past 5 MIL. A bit of "Christmas tree" below zero. This is a terrible representation of glass clarity in the TT. It is truly crystal clear when looking through it.
20181227_152837.jpg

Gen 3XR is similar, but has .2MIL subtensions and a small floating center dot.

S&B has numerous reticles. I use the H2CMR in all of my mine. It is a fine reticle, and gets small at 3x (in 3-20×50). I think mainly to keep the reticle reasonable in a 7x erector. The 5-20×50 & 5-25×56 uses a slightly larger etch (5x erector), and it is easier to pick up on minimum magnification. Has .2MIL subtensions, but no outer heavy stadia.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a great scope for my Weatherby MK V 338-378 Arroyo. I have the same rifle chambered in 300 Win. Sporting a Leupold VX6. I want a better scope for the 338-378. I would like it to be mil in FFP and worthy of competition and long range hunting. I would like the scope to be worthy of the next custom rifle that can handle 100-2000 meters. World class for 2020. Thanks

March

Since hunting is sometimes hard on scopes, and taking a "spare" is not a good option, strength and durability are prime criteria for me. I don't want a scope with great repair CS, I want one that will likely never need repair. I go with NF. If the S&B glass is better than the glass in my ATACRs, I'm sorry, I just cannot see it. Both are incredible. The ATACR glass is a bit better than my NXS'.

My favorite reticle is the MOAR-T, but while my old eyes can see it just fine, some people say they have difficulty. Okay, then go with the MOAR. FFP vs. SFP is purely a personal preference thing. I go with SFP because when I am scanning for game at low power I don't like having that big ball of twine right in the middle of the picture.

t9no.jpg
FABC8F5D-F2E9-448F-9804-9A250389D33B.jpeg

March, check the weight and reticles, they are awesome

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.