Best $500 Long Range Scope

I have a Monarch and a Vortex Viper. With all do respect to Chuck Norris, I have to say the Vortex pretty much blows the monarch out of the water for less money. I like the Monarch ok, the glass is clear and bright but the turrets feel like cheap junk compared to the Viper. The power adjustment ring on the monarch is very difficult to turn with gloves on, compared to the vortex. You do however get a little more eye relief, and more elevation adjustment with the Monarch. Both have held zero well, but the clicks on the monarch are slighly less than 1/4 moa and my viper is dead on. If you go with the viper I would put a 20 moa base on it, I didn't and can get out to 900 yards with my 25-06.
I also like the bushnell elite 4200 and 6500. You can find the elite 4200 6-24x50 tactical or the 6500 2-16x40 for about $500-$550.

Bassin93

Next to the nightforce, I like the mark 4's m1 turrets better than any of the other options. I will say that i have not tried them all, but I have put the m1 turrets on other leupolds and they have worked great for me. this was only my opinion. what i would do: is buy the leupold that i could afford that meets the other requirments, and then later if necessary, i would send it in and add the turrets. I believe there are plenty of the older vari x scopes that would meet this criteria, or if you were buying a new scope, leupold has a 4-12 x 40 with the adjustable objective for 449.99 and the 6-18 for 499.99 at cabelas. I just thought this was a option that he might want to consider.

Thanks! I appreciate all points of views and opinions. Well....... maybe not the Chuck Norris one. :D

Bassin93

Next to the nightforce, I like the mark 4's m1 turrets better than any of the other options. I will say that i have not tried them all, but I have put the m1 turrets on other leupolds and they have worked great for me. this was only my opinion. what i would do: is buy the leupold that i could afford that meets the other requirments, and then later if necessary, i would send it in and add the turrets. I believe there are plenty of the older vari x scopes that would meet this criteria, or if you were buying a new scope, leupold has a 4-12 x 40 with the adjustable objective for 449.99 and the 6-18 for 499.99 at cabelas. I just thought this was a option that he might want to consider.

I ordered a Millet tactical for one of my rifles. Got an adj paralax, ill mil-dot reticle, 1/4 minute turrets, and the works for about 300$. Works fine for the price. Sounds funny, but I have it mounted on my .50 cal muzzleloader now and it is awesome out to 300 or so. Recoil is not a problem. Scope passed a box test at 100 yards no problem.

Go to the SWFA website and look at the millets. Just another option...

I make a point of letting my buddies look through my Nikons. They are the most clear and bright for my money. They are always very impressed.

The good wife got me a Burris peep-cross, I like it a lot, but not as bright as the Nikons.

I grew up with a Leopold, I think they are great optics. Seems that when I go to by one, the Nikons are on sale, at half what a comparable Leopold would be.

Most of the time you get what you pay for, with Nikon you get a bit more.

I haven't tried Nightforce, would like to see/use more brands, but I know what I'm getting with Nikon.

Since you highlighted the Vortex....Here you go: Vortex - Camera Land NY

Look at the top scope listed....Target dot...for $249. I purchased the same scope with a 50mm front objective for $279. This is from one of the forum sponsors...Great folks to work with to boot. This is a really good scope for the money....and you'd have enough $$$ left over for good rings and base(s).

Good Luck,

Wayne

Unless Torchrider needs more than one scope, I think we went with ...

post_old.gif
11-21-2010, 06:22 PM
FEENIX
user_online.gif

Platinum Member

Re: Best $500 Long Range Scope
For $250 NIB, this WTS NIB KONUS M30 6.5-25x44 $250.00 is hard to beat.

... because the item is now SPF.

Ed

I took a gamble and bought Vortex Viper 4-12 for my wife's rifle this past year not having personally looked through one at the time.

Upon receiving it and looking through it, I promptly purchased another Vortex for another project I had going.

I like them as well as my Zeiss conquest thus far....but have not had the Vortex out at low light in hunting conditions yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.