Best Long Range Hunting scope <$500 ??

95huskers

Hi guys and gals,

I'm sure there is another thread on this but I couldn't find it anywhere. What I am looking for is a long range scope to put on my Savage 110 6.5-284 Norma.
I want to keep my cost UNDER $500 and I do have a few things I'd like:

-Mildot or Holdover type Reticle (not top priority though)
-Target Turrets, or the ability to add some to the existing scope
-At least 10x magnification but would like more if I can afford it without sacrificing glass quality. (would prefer variable power)
-30mm Tube...unless my money is better spent with a 1" tube.

Let me know what you think. Throw out some options and I'll take a look. Thanks!

In that price range, the only one I have experience with is the Nikon.

The M223 (3-12x42 with target turrets) is a tactical version of the Monarch 3-12x42 side focus scope. Considering that I have never paid more than $500 for a scope I cannot comment on the high end stuff, but I can say that compared to Redfield, Weaver and Bushnell Elite 3200 scopes that I do own, the Nikon is optically and mechanically superior. No overshoot or lag when dialing in the turrets, works consistently and holds zero and the side focus is great for eliminating paralax error (once you know how to use it).

Its probably not the cheapest offer, but midway has it listed for $429, which is pretty good. I won't pay the extra for the BDC retical but thats me...
Nikon M-223 Rifle Scope 3-12x 42mm Side Focus Nikoplex Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA
436985.jpg

In that price range, the only one I have experience with is the Nikon.

The M223 (3-12x42 with target turrets) is a tactical version of the Monarch 3-12x42 side focus scope. Considering that I have never paid more than $500 for a scope I cannot comment on the high end stuff, but I can say that compared to Redfield, Weaver and Bushnell Elite 3200 scopes that I do own, the Nikon is optically and mechanically superior. No overshoot or lag when dialing in the turrets, works consistently and holds zero and the side focus is great for eliminating paralax error (once you know how to use it).

Its probably not the cheapest offer, but midway has it listed for $429, which is pretty good. I won't pay the extra for the BDC retical but thats me...
Nikon M-223 Rifle Scope 3-12x 42mm Side Focus Nikoplex Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA
436985.jpg

Love this scope but it's designed for a .223 caliber isn't it?

The non BDC scope has a standard reticle. There is nothing cartridge specific about it. The turrets are 1/4 MOA. Its just a regular target turret type scope.

The non BDC scope has a standard reticle. There is nothing cartridge specific about it. The turrets are 1/4 MOA. Its just a regular target turret type scope.

The Nikon M223 is actually cartridge specific for a .223 shooting a 55gr ballistic tip or vmax bullet at 3250 or something very close to that. The turrets are only marked in yards and they do not have a turret available for that scope marked in minutes or anything else. I got my info directly from Nikon about 8 months ago. I purchased the Monarch instead. It appears to be the same scope, but you have different turret options for the Monarch.

If that is true, then I apologize for my bad advice. I have the Monarch 3-12x42 but actually wanted the M223 and do have it on a 223 cal rifle but shooting 55gr bullets. I never came across anything that said that it had yard calibrated elevation.

For about $70 you can get the MOA turrets. Nikon Monarch 1/4 MOA High Pro Turret Kit - MidwayUSA They are sold with covers, so I don't know if they are weatherproof. Typical for Nikon there is little info available. I criticize, but have been very satisfied with both of my Nikon scopes (also have the 4-16x50 SF on my 8mm Mauser).

Leupold makes a retractable tape type device that mounts to the scope tube that you can put your bullet drop data on, so that it is readily accessible in the shooting position.

Here is another source that appears to have the MOA turrets in stock for $56
Nikon Monarch New Items - Other Items

139903.jpg

Skip the M223 then and get the regular 3-12x42 Monarch and add the turrets
Nikon Monarch Rifle Scope 3-12x 42mm Side Focus BDC Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

Its even cheaper at $380.

I have both a Nikon Monarch 3-12 X 42 and a new Clearidge Ultra XP5 4.5-22.5X50.
Both are fine scopes but I reckon the Clearidge has more reliable and repeatable dial up adjustments.

Vortex viper HS 4-16 has everything I was looking for in a long range hunting scope.
$499 to my door

Vortex viper HS 4-16 has everything I was looking for in a long range hunting scope.
$499 to my door

+1. I've got the BDC version, which is spaced 2 MOA a hash mark, and the 4-16x50. they also have a 4-16x44 in the HS. they also have a LR model which uses 1/2" adjustments to give you 72 MOA of internal adjustments. Shop around. tacticalstoredotcom had them for $449....but check for in stock availability. The optics are great and have a forever warranty. my $.02
Nimrod

+1. I've got the BDC version, which is spaced 2 MOA a hash mark, and the 4-16x50. they also have a 4-16x44 in the HS. they also have a LR model which uses 1/2" adjustments to give you 72 MOA of internal adjustments. Shop around. tacticalstoredotcom had them for $449....but check for in stock availability. The optics are great and have a forever warranty. my $.02
Nimrod

+2 even though it has the wide duplex for another $100 they'll make you a turret with your load data.... ALL for less then $400

Sorry Nikon fans, the glass is good on Nikons but if you EVER have a problem, good luck getting it solved without a bunch of headaches. I've had to deal with Nikons CS and happy to say I won't ever have too again, PLUS to many floating around on the web as refurbished. IMHO

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.