Best $500 Long Range Scope

The best $500 scope I ever owned was a Sightron SII Big Sky 3-12x42. Best combination of clear glass and sharp reticle and comes with target knobs. They are running a $75 rebate right now. Second option would be the Bushnell 4200 series based on my experience with the 6500 series.

I have a Millett LRS, holds a zero well... repeatable. nice level of zoom, lotsa light with that 56mm Obj. Not the worlds most amazing glass but great for the money. One possible drawback is it is LARGE and heavy.

I have a Millett LRS, holds a zero well... repeatable. nice level of zoom, lotsa light with that 56mm Obj. Not the worlds most amazing glass but great for the money. One possible drawback is it is LARGE and heavy.
My Konus M-30 is the exact same way. Nothing to write home about, but for a $359 scope I am very impressed. It is also heavy and bulky, but it seems to be built like a tank. LOL

elite 4200 6-24x50 bushnell.......I have nikon monarchs and think they are a fine scope and they are good in glass but there glass is not on the same level as the 4200 elite and I like bushnell's turrets better. I have a couple 4200s and for $500 and $512 they can't be beat.

In the price range that the OP mentioned, Vortex Viper HS 4-16 x 44 or 4-16 x 50 with the BDC Reticle, which allows you to use the hashmarks on the horizontal reticle line for wind hold.

I would buy a leupold that fits the budget and then send it off to the leupold factory and have them put m1 turrets on it. then you would have the same adjustments as the mark 4 line of scopes. the cost to do this is $130 dollars.
please excuse my ignorance, but what are m1 turrets.
I just ordered a 6-18x40 leupold with fine crosshairs.could i get the reticle changed to mil dot? I am putting it on an 308 win semi-auto and was thinking of the mil dots. I know, I have put the horse ahead of the carrage.

Just my .02 but I decided to take one for the team and buy a vortex without any first hand experience or knowledge from close friends and I couldn't be happier. I went with a viper HS 4-16x44 and the clarity is wonderful, low light performance is amazing and it is truly repeatable. I originally questioned how consistent it would be so I decided I'd start doing a box test at the end of each range session. So far it's had 8 sessions and 200 rounds of .300wm and always returns to zero. It has been impressive enough that a friend replaced his swaro with a new viper... Just sayin.

please excuse my ignorance, but what are m1 turrets.
I just ordered a 6-18x40 leupold with fine crosshairs.could i get the reticle changed to mil dot? I am putting it on an 308 win semi-auto and was thinking of the mil dots. I know, I have put the horse ahead of the carrage.

I'd suggest looking them up on google, or trying the search engine in this forum, as that will give you the most information. But basically the M1 turrets are used on the tactical style leupold scopes and allow MOA adjustments without having to take off a scope cap.......

I have been playing the value game myself. I have multiple long range hunting rifles and have tried to put glass on all of them.

twenty power is not enough for me after having 32X and 40X.

I would urge you to look at the "used" market.

The Millet 6-24X with either 30mm or 35mm tube is recoil stable and has a low return rate in the industry. I think the internal tube (that controls the light transmission) is the same on both, you just get more adjustment range with the 35MM tube.

I have a Bariska 10-32X42 one inch on a Browning B-78 that does not have a ring option. I have tried Conetrol, Burris and Leupold and only the issue (old Refield Jr) rings work on the factory drilled holes. The $125 Bariska was suggested by a fellow club member and it has been reliable with 6mm Remington loaded to 3400 fps with 90 gr Accubonds. The resolution is quite competitive with other one inch tubes. I have a Nikon 8-32X Monarch but I find the BCD recticle too coarse for the power. I have asked about an aftermarket recticle but have not had anyone say they would like the job of installing one.

I have a couple of Counter Sniper 10-40X 35 mm tube scopes. One is on a .204 Ruger with a 7 pound barrel. The reticle is conducive to varmint shooting. It has turret locks but it seems that if you adjust one direction you mess up the other direction. If you strike zero and lock it you will like it. These scopes sell for $420-460. 35 mm tubes provide a lot of light.

Nikon Monarch, period.

So I take it you Don't shot a lot or very far ? u should try the monarch and see how well it adjust to long range got news for you I have several Nikon monarch, and they will not adjust with the 1/8 clicks like a 1/4... they are clear as all get get out they just want adjust for me... I had probs getting mone to adjust to 450 yards.... so I bought a leupold mark 4 I will adjust as far as I want to shoot and I purchased a vortex same there love it..

my choise would be a nikon 4.5x14 or a leupold vx2 4x12 and spend the left over on a target turrent upgrade. Sure isnt going to compare to a swarovski or a nightforce but will work plenty fine for anyone short of a true competitor. After all this is the LONG RANGE HUNTING FORUM. Not the long range bench rest fourm and i seriously doubt if theres many here who are shooting deer at a 1000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.