2016 LRH Shooting Class With Non-Typical Outfitters

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Class Dates
  • July 29 - 31, 2016
  • August 5 - 7, 2016
  • August 12 - 14, 2016

Join Len and Andy this summer in the stunning mountains of Western Wyoming. Our LRH Shooting Class with Non-Typical Outfitters is much more than just a shooting class - It's An Adventure!

lrh-shooting-school-03940.jpg

This summer we are offering three different weekend classes in July/August. Class takes place in some of the most beautiful mountains you can imagine, from an extremely comfortable canvas wall-tent camp which is accessible within about a one hour drive on forest service roads after leaving the pavement.

Make sure you are ready when that trophy animal suddenly gives you the opportunity of a lifetime. Our class focuses on preparing you to quickly and confidently set up and execute that one-shot kill no matter the terrain. Whether you hunt in the mountains or any other type of uneven terrain you will learn many, many techniques that will help make you a better, more effective hunter. And WOW is it fun!

CLICK HERE to read a detailed review of the 2015 year class by class participant Mike Trenholm.

CLICK HERE to visit the Shooting Class page at Non-Typical Outfitter's website.

• Class cost is $1900 ($1000 downpayment + $900)
  • 3/4 nights accommodations
  • Excellent food included
  • 3 days of instruction
  • Horses used for access to the higher country shooting areas
  • 7,000 to 9,000 foot elevation
  • Located in the mountains of Western, Wyoming

Click here to download the signup form. Save the file to your computer, then open in WORD. Print out and mail to Non-Typical Outfitters with your $1,000 down payment check to Non-Typical Outfitters. NTO's mailing address is on the signup form.

Let Len know by email that your paperwork is in the mail.

If you have any questions please call Non-Typical Outfitters at (307) 654-0000

lrh-shooting-school-03957.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a comment from class participant Larry P. , who shot a Dall ram in Alaska just a couple weeks after class.

I got 'er done! Used Rob's tricks with a stuff sack for rear rest.
Rock solid at 327 yards. Beautiful wild country.

Knees were an issue. Appointment with Dr. Wednesday to discuss.

The 215 gr Berger opened up nicely and did a hell of a job. Nicked a rib on
the way in, took out top of heart and both lungs a made a 2" hole in the middle
of the offside shoulder.

Thank you guys for everything.

DSCN0199.JPG

Last year we had a class participant kill a Dall 2 weeks after class also.

Just think about how much money and effort those hunts cost and how important a class like this can be to your odds of success.

I shot my own 6 point bull elk this fall using a technique we teach in the class.

Finally we reached the perfect shooting spot where we could see the opening several hundred yards across the small valley. Taking a seat, I quickly tucked my own pack tight up behind my back and whispered to Robb to hand me his own pack. For the seated upward shot off my shooting sticks I would lean back for support on my pack, plus be able to rest my shooting arm on Robb's pack. Helping to teach this position in the LRH-NTO Shooting Classes these past two summers has given me even more appreciation for this type of uneven ground positional shooting.

-Len Backus-

len-backus-elk-hunt-001.jpg

Last edited:
I just attended the August 5th-7th shooting class with LRH & Non-Typical Outfitters.
Len and Andy are top notch instructors and stand behind their rifles. I came to the class with very little rifle experience and no long range experience. They were very patient with me, and Robb Wiley of NTO put us in hunting scenarios everyday. I did my share of missing, however I did hit targets out to 1200 plus yards. Robb's staff is excellent, I will be returning in the fall of 2017 for an elk hunt. I may also attend another shooting class next summer. I highly recommend this class for anyone who has a western style hunt in their future. Great time, Great people, beautiful scenery and I learned a lot about long range shooting, and equipment.
Mikegun)

Great to hear from you Mike and thanks for the kind words about your class experience. It was a pleasure getting to know you and it's always fun working with someone who is sort of starting from scratch - no bad habits to break. :)

Just wanted to say that it was a pleasure meeting Len and Andy! I had an outstanding time at the shooting class. I personally know this class has improve my shooting skills and also has given me more confidents in taking longer shots. I would highly recommend this class to anyone who plans on hunting with a rifle! Robb has an awesome facility set up for the class which is also the same camp you would hunt from. Robb,s staff is top shelf and works hard to improve your shooting ability , no matter what level you are at. I would like to take the class again next year, because I had so much fun!

Roger Foster

Glad to hear you enjoyed the class Roger! We had several people sign up for their second year this year. Hopefully we'll see you again next year.

Hi Len and Andy!

I hope your group elk hunt with NTO was a success, I was tossing around the idea of joining you next year if you have room. Brenda said it would not be a problem to move me there. I'm also 99.9% sure I will be attending another of your Long Range Shooting classes this summer. Learned a lot last summer however I know shooting is a perishable skill can't get enough practice. Had the 6.5mm GAP at our outdoor range last week for time I've had a chance to fire it since the class. 15 in almost the same hole at 100 yards, one of our snipers fired it and was impressed. July 5th is my last day, I'm retiring after 30 years of law enforcement. so you might see out there yearly chasing elk and mulies in that beautiful country. Happy Hunting!!
Mike Milbrand

Mike

Great to hear from you again!

I remember talking with you about future retirement, so now you'll have lots more time for the fun things in life. I remember how busy you've been at work since they are short handed lately.

See you next year....

Hi Len!

Thanks for the reply and kind words.
I will be picking your brain in the near future for what I'll to get my rifle customized and ready to go. I have no doubt I'll be in one of your shooting classes next summer, maybe you and Andy can show me what I need to do. I'm not sure if you have your group set for next year for the group hunt with NTO, if you don't I'd be honored to hunt with you guys. I have a deposit down already for 2017, and have already purchased preference points.
have an awesome day, and happy hunting.

Mike Milbrand

Hi Len,

Am new to this site and just getting back into hunting and shooting after 30+ years mostly out of it. My brother lives in Missoula, MT and hunts deer and elk out there and I'd like to join him and others doing it, especially the LR portion. What classes do you recommend I take, what books and articles should I read, what outfitter(s) do you recommend for mule deer and elk, and do you know anyone in the DC and NC area that I could buddy up with to practice, learn from, etc.?

Relevant Background: I grew up in Miami, FL and hunted central FL with friends until moving to MD at age 15 then hunted there solo. I studied the Shooters Bible hardcore and all but lived at Tamiami Gun Shop via my bicycle on weekends. I handloaded from age 12 through 18 - 44 mag, 30-06, 12 ga - and shot only my own loads. College at Embry-Riddle in FL (aero engineering) and girls ruined that then I got into my NTSB accident investigator work and offshore charter and tournament fishing for tuna and other pelagics the past 26 years. I still do the offshore fishing but want to get back to hunting as a means of having more time with my brother and other friends and fishing clients who hunt.

Thanks,
Charley Pereira

Hi Charley!

If You plan on doing any kind of a western style hunt, I strongly recommend chatting with Len, and attending one of the Long Range Shooting schools hosted by Len, his son Andy, and Robb Wiley of Non Typical Outfitters. I attended the three day class last August, and I plan on returning again this summer. You will learn from a gun builder, and hunting guide and outfitter, as well as being treated to beautiful country, great food and company, and you will be shooting at distances out to over 1200 yards. I have an elk hunt planned with Non Typical outfitters next fall, and I can't wait to get back there. I'm from New York, and was affectionately known as a flat-lander when I visited last summer so my background is not too different than yours. You'll learn and lot and walk away being much more prepared to hunt in Montana.
good luck!

mpm418gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.