2013 Dall/Grizz hunt

bubbagodkin

Hi Guys,

I am booked to do a 12 day dall sheep (8 day) and grizz (4 day) hunt with art hirschel. What would you guys take for a rifle I am trying to decide between my 7mm remington 700 titanium, or my 338 lapua model 700....?
I generally shoot 168gr bergers in the 7mm and 300gr matchkings in the lapua....?

What type of terrain has the outfitter said it will be? The 7mm would be a lot nicer to carry for sheep.

I was thinking of trying to book a sheep hunt with him next year also. Good luck. As for what gun with those bullets I would pick the 338. But you might want to consider a different bullet for both maybe a acubond. You can kill a bear with no prob with the 7mm but 338 will do it better specially if shot isn't perfect.

It would depend on the type of grizzly hunt. If you can spot from a distance and shoot, then you should use the rifle you feel the most comfortable with. If it is the type of hunt where you will be face to face with him, go large. The larger the better. Often times bears are spotted from a great distance and you have to get on their playing field to get a shot. It all happens fast and you could be face to face when it does happen.

If you do go with the Lapua, leave the SMKs at home. The 300 ACCUBONDS if available would be a far better choice for griz. If they are not available by then, the 250 AB or 250 Partition would still by far be better choices than the 300 grain SMK for griz. The SMK will be too unpredictable in a situation where you DO NOT want to leave any room for doubt. It could pencil through. It could explode. It could do a perfect job. You never know. Partitions and similar will be much more reliable than the SMK could ever dream of being. You will want maximum reliability while face to face with mister hairy teeth and claws.

Id deffinatly take the .338 Lapua. I wouldnt use Matchkings though. I would recommend going to the 300 Accuboond if its out, and if not try the 285 and 250 gr TTSX (barnes) and 250 grain Accubond. Take whatever shoots better. The other option is the cutting edge line of bullets if you dont mind the price (whats it compared to your hunt, really?).

I would take the 7mm too, but only use it for the sheep end of the hunt. I know that a 7 will take grizz, but you wont see a single guide or experienced bear hunter using a 7mm. theres just better choices.

Sounds like you have to kick *** rifles!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.