200 matchking backwards?

Some of those big linkers hide and shoulder shields are pretty tough indeed! I watched my Uncle shoot a large boar three times at about 60 yards with a 308 sending a 150g Federal SP. He walked right off into the mesquite like he was heading to church, never to be seen again.
hahaha

Never saw him cuss before that day. We looked for that pig for the better part of the rest of the day. Now, after a few years and a few more trips we laugh about it every time we get together for a family dinner.

Last trip south he went with a Partition and the old porky didn't like the medication much.
Those crazy memories are priceless!

Some of those big linkers hide and shoulder shields are pretty tough indeed! I watched my Uncle shoot a large boar three times at about 60 yards with a 308 sending a 150g Federal SP. He walked right off into the mesquite like he was heading to church, never to be seen again.

I've killed train-car loads with my Mini-14. Mostly using 64 gr. Winchester Power Points. Some with 70 gr. Speer semi-spitzers. Several with Rem. 55 gr. soft points. A few with 55 gr. FMJ's, when that is what happened to be in the mag at the time.

I have shot and lost exactly ONE hog that I shot with any of my .223's. I did have one other shot with a .223 run - about 10 yards. All others fell DRT.

The only other hog I ever had that did anything other than quiver was shot with a Marlin bolt action......chambered in .17 HMR.....shooting 17 gr. polymer tipped varmint/squirrel bullet. I forget which brand. Porky jumped, ran about 30 yards and tipped over. Young boar, about 140 lbs. Turns out that the bullet had penetrated the hide, shield and chest. Completely jellied both lungs. Fragments found on the far shoulder.

In my pretty extensive experience, I have not found a properly shot hog any tougher than the average small whitetail. Maybe a bit less so.

I've killed train-car loads with my Mini-14. Mostly using 64 gr. Winchester Power Points. Some with 70 gr. Speer semi-spitzers. Several with Rem. 55 gr. soft points. A few with 55 gr. FMJ's, when that is what happened to be in the mag at the time.

I have shot and lost exactly ONE hog that I shot with any of my .223's. I did have one other shot with a .223 run - about 10 yards. All others fell DRT.

The only other hog I ever had that did anything other than quiver was shot with a Marlin bolt action......chambered in .17 HMR.....shooting 17 gr. polymer tipped varmint/squirrel bullet. I forget which brand. Porky jumped, ran about 30 yards and tipped over. Young boar, about 140 lbs. Turns out that the bullet had penetrated the hide, shield and chest. Completely jellied both lungs. Fragments found on the far shoulder.

In my pretty extensive experience, I have not found a properly shot hog any tougher than the average small whitetail. Maybe a bit less so.
Any experience with a matchking backwards?

Any experience with a matchking backwards?
Only experience I've had with loading bullets backward was .38 hollow-base wadcutters in handguns.

But aren't most "dangerous game bullets" usually a short taper from bearing surface, to a flat face, kind of like a semi-wadcutter handgun bullet? The design is very effective in handguns, and evidently in large caliber rifles. Deep, straight penetration, on BIG critters, with THICK hides and bones.

Seems to me that would be about what you would wind up with, in .30 caliber. I'd say give it a try, and let us know what happens.

Back in the early 80's, I bought thousands of .556 surplus 55gr FMJBT's for a very good price. Later on, I needed to eradicate prairie dogs, so I loaded them backwards and used them in my M700 Varmint Special. They weren't quite as accurate as when loaded correctly, but they worked. I shot many prairie dogs with them and had no issues. Although, I read an article in some magezine not recommending doing because the caused neck splits. I never had those issues. I have a good supply of bullets now so I don't have to do it any more, but I might do again just to experiment. I don't think I'd try try it in my AR. I'm afraid they would shove the bullet back into the case(if they even fed at all). I saw two ARs that blew up because the bullets were forced back into the case.

On the video the shooter got split necks. In any case I'd just drill out the tip to make sure they are clear. Seems like a waste to shoot SMK's backwards. If you want dramatic expansion try the Speer Mag Tips. Worked good on a pig in my 30-06.

On the video the shooter got split necks. In any case I'd just drill out the tip to make sure they are clear. Seems like a waste to shoot SMK's backwards. If you want dramatic expansion try the Speer Mag Tips. Worked good on a pig in my 30-06.
I hear you, but i really have no use for 200 matchkings. The only matchking i use is the 168 i load for
The garand. These were free and i'm bored

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts