200 gr Berger Hybrid Target for hunting

A A Ron

Any thoughts on the 200 gr Berger Hybrid Target for hunting? I have found lots of post regarding the 215 HBT. It appears to be a very good hunting bullet. Is the construction of the 200 gr close enough to have the same success at around 2800 fps muzzle velocity?

Simply no. The jacket is thinner.
If you want a good hunting bullet the 210gr hybrid Hunter is a good one if you don't want to use the 215gr.

Cheers.

So, correct me if I am wrong but, the Berger website states that all the "Hybrid Target bullets have the J4 jacket.. So wouldn't the 210 Hybrid Target have the same jacket and be good? Maybe I am misreading??

I realize the intensive testing that BROZ did on the 215 to make it worthy as a hunting bullet. In the back of my mind if they all have the same jacket you would think they might be similar..

I have read a lot of the post from Broz. He apparently has had great success with the 215 hbt, which is why I hoped the 200 hbt would be similar. I considered heavier, but I'm limited on case capacity in 30-06 AI. I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere Berger target bullets had a thicker jacket than a hunting bullet. Has anyone put some 200 gr hbt in some animals that can weigh in?

While I haven't used the 200 gr target, I used the 30 cal 230 gr target in my 300 RUM on a large cow and a 6 x 6 bull elk. The cow offered a high shoulder shot in thick trees at 230 yds. Bullet exited and cow was DRT. Bull was facing at slight angle. Put bullet between front legs and it exited offside behind shoulder. He staggered and dropped within 15 ft.

Friend uses the 7mm 180 target in his 7 rem mag on three coues wt. Bullet opens up nicely and always exits.

I would think the bullet will work fine provided the tip is checked to ensure it has nothing in it.

There is a thread on Rokslide of a sectioned 200.20x, construction looks similar to the 215. I'd wager it would perform similarly and would be well suited to 30-06 or 300WSM sized applications.

I was curious on the 200.20x. I have a bunch for plinking steel but was going to try them out on coyotes before I experiment on larger game.

Did you read my post?
As stated, the difference between the target and Hunter is jacket thickness.
I have found if you don't clean out the tips, point and trim the meplat, you will run into trouble with bullets not expanding.
I ran the 210g for almost 10 years with very good results, however when I switched to the 215g for F-class, I also hunted with them with mixed results. The 230g OTM was not good an game for me. YMMV.

Cheers.

Thanks, I found the thread on Rokslide. Sounds like some hunters have had success with the 200 gr hbt.

I also found this expert on benchrest.com.

"Originally Posted by Eric Stecker View Post
The results of this test lead to our separating our entire line into 3 application based lines. The Target line is made using only thick jackets while the Hunting and Varmint lines are made using the standard jackets. Since then the occurrences of bullet failures is nearly zero.

The thread also recommended against using target bullets for hunting. I still would like to hear about more real world experience with the 200 gr hybrid target on game. Thanks to all.

I contacted Berger. They told me the 200 hbt and 215 hbt have the same jacket thickness. My opinion is the 200 gr hbt and the 215 hbt should perform similarly. In my 30-06 AI. I'm getting 2800 fps in an accurate load with reloader 23 out to 1100. That leaves me around 1800 fps and 1500 ft lbs at 700 yards. I think that is a reasonable and ethical max for my elk rifle. The only way to know for sure is to fill the freezer.

So far so so good. 300 yards with a 200 gr berger hbt. Dead on impact from a high slightly quartering towards. Hit just below the spine and broke one rib on entry and 3 on exit. One of the more dramatic kills I've witnessed that missed the spinal column.

Attachments

• 20211113_104005.jpg
    20211113_104005.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 110