215gr Berger Hybrid Target for hunting

It's not about target, hunting or even varmint bullets, that is a straight up marketing label, it's about using the most lethal and accurate bullet that fits your uses. All this is marketing driven, Berger would have the 215 labeled as a Hunting bullet in a second it that was the largest market they were trying to sell that bullet to, same with Hornady. This is about sifting through the marketing and finding that perfect bullet for yourself and on a forum share your information or opinion on it so we can build on each other's experience.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,
As a hunter I am strictly opposed to hunting with target bullets. That being said bullet manufacturers have been known to advertise target bullets that perform very well on game.
My questions for you fellow hunters that have hunted with these bullets are
1. Does the bullet mushrooms?
2. How does internal damage compare with other bullets?
3. Does it have better terminal performance at long range then short range? Or vice versa?
4. How would you describe the performance in comparison with the best hunting bullet you have experience with?
There is good information here that I read, most of it, but it's thought to go though all threads specially when most reviews are "love it dropped dead in its tracks job done" - doesn't really help me much.

Or better yet, use a hunting bullet, there are plenty of them on the market to choose from !

The worst bullets for hunting I've seen were labeled for hunting and marketed as a premium hunting bullet. What should a guy do when his bullets that say target on the box out perform their bullets from boxes that are labeled hunting??

Guys I have a lot of 200 swift A- frame for my 300 winmag. does any one have any expeience with these on elk?

My son shot a 5 point bull elk with the 200 gr. Swift A-Frame out of a 300 RUM at aprox. 3200 fps...4 times. The elk was spooked and by chance was running at about 100 yards from him off to his right. He shot with no reaction from the elk so he shot again. The elk turned slightly towards him still on the move but getting closer and he shot again. The elk finally slowed to a stop so he shot him again this time about 50 yds away and he went down. After inspecting the elk he was hit all four times right behind the shoulder right where he was aiming. None of the bullets hit any bone other than a rib and just slipped right through without doing much damage. All the exit holes were not much bigger than the entrance holes. If they don't open up much at that range with a 300 RUM I wouldn't recommend them for a winmag unless you shoot through the shoulder.

Here you go!

Attachments

• C91929F3-8314-4952-8238-A47DFEF0339F.jpeg
    C91929F3-8314-4952-8238-A47DFEF0339F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 144
My son shot a 5 point bull elk with the 200 gr. Swift A-Frame out of a 300 RUM at aprox. 3200 fps...4 times. The elk was spooked and by chance was running at about 100 yards from him off to his right. He shot with no reaction from the elk so he shot again. The elk turned slightly towards him still on the move but getting closer and he shot again. The elk finally slowed to a stop so he shot him again this time about 50 yds away and he went down. After inspecting the elk he was hit all four times right behind the shoulder right where he was aiming. None of the bullets hit any bone other than a rib and just slipped right through without doing much damage. All the exit holes were not much bigger than the entrance holes. If they don't open up much at that range with a 300 RUM I wouldn't recommend them for a winmag unless you shoot through the shoulder.

I was hunting with a good friend and he did the same thing with a 338 Win Mag, 'cept he was using 225 gr Hornady.

I shot the 180 target hybrid in my 7x300 win mag improved last year on a hunt in Africa. Shot the small springbuck, hartebeest, wildebeest, and oryx. I shot three of each animal. The bullet performance was excellent. It hit like a hammer. Ranges from 200 to 800 yds.

I feel like the Lone Ranger here. I think I am the only one that refuses to hunt with ANY target bullet. At least I have the balls to openly admit it.
congrats, you don't hunt with a target bullet. Yippee. You keep doing you and everyone else can keep doing them. And I'm glad you are proud of your balls. Way to take a stand.

There are times that some of this reminds of what everyone told Columbus........:)

I am strictly opposed to hunting with target bullets that have poor performance on the game or poor design for hunting. Reading through the posts here sounds like 215 hybrid is very similar to 210 vld by design.
I believe it was the a-max??? that was marketed as a target bullet and it proved to be an excellent hunting bullet?
Depends on caliber. I run the 105gr Amax in a .243 for coyotes. It is not a good deer bullet. Sometimes it doesn't exit coyotes. Some bullets work like magic in certain calibers and not so much in others. I have no experience with Berger bullets but I've seen enough on this forum to make me believe the 210 gr Berger in .30 cal works. But I would not say all Hornady, Berger, or whatever brand and line of bullets work great all the time.