20” 30 caliber short mag, 300SAUM, WSM or Sherman Short

If this is a hunting rig where foul weather may be encountered, ringing out every bit of speed at high pressure could be devistating if a follow up shot is required.
That extra 100-150fps is not worth it.
It would be a hunting rig but I'm not following your logic regarding weather and follow up shots.

Ok, I might be mistaken, but... isn't most of the 6.5 RSAUM made from the 7mm RSAUM due to the case neck and length problem(s) when using as .300 RSAUM... the 7mm RSAUM case is 2.035" and the .300 RSAUM is 2.015" in case length, plus the thickness of the .300 RSAUM ends up overly thick and it takes a lot of case neck turning to get it right, and it would still have a somewhat short neck length for a 6.5 RSAUM... just asking Cheers.

Also, when the bolt wont lift because of high pressure and you are watching your trophy walk away. I went on an Oryx hunt in NM recently and down loaded my ammo from 3000 to 2850 fps just to make sure that didnt happen. They are tough, and I ended up shooting it 7 times with a 300rsaum before it gave up. Dont think it would have died any sooner if my velocity was 100 fps faster. Heard other guys on that hunt telling of a woman that shot an Oryx 21 times with a 6.5 CM before it gave up

Also, when the bolt wont lift because of high pressure and you are watching your trophy walk away. I went on an Oryx hunt in NM recently and down loaded my ammo from 3000 to 2850 fps just to make sure that didnt happen. They are tough, and I ended up shooting it 7 times with a 300rsaum before it gave up. Dont think it would have died any sooner if my velocity was 100 fps faster. Heard other guys on that hunt telling of a woman that shot an Oryx 21 times with a 6.5 CM before it gave up
What brand & weight bullet? and, what length barrel? oh yeah... what distance? on the .300 RSAUM... just asking, Cheers.

Obviously if I have pressure signs at the velocity I'm chasing I would not load those to take hunting. That's why I do ladder testing as my first point of load development. Not all barrels/chambers act the same on every rifle.
Also living in Texas I usually do load work up when it's 100° outside so any temp sensitive powders would represent worst case conditions when in the field. I don't like to hunt in hot weather that should really never even be a concern.

Ok, I might be mistaken, but... isn't most of the 6.5 RSAUM made from the 7mm RSAUM due to the case neck and length problem(s) when using as .300 RSAUM... the 7mm RSAUM case is 2.035" and the .300 RSAUM is 2.015" in case length, plus the thickness of the .300 RSAUM ends up overly thick and it takes a lot of case neck turning to get it right, and it would still have a somewhat short neck length for a 6.5 RSAUM... just asking Cheers.
Actually when George and Pat started on it (6.5GAP4S) they used Remington 300SAUM brass and Pat put a long post together about care and feeding. Turn 300SAUM necks to ,015. The 300SAUM brass is preferred because it's shorter and doesn't need to be trimmed for quite a few rounds.

First shot/hit was about 100 yards using 180 gr Hornady Interbond. Last shot was 480. two of the shots were well placed, others were as he was running. Factory gun with a 24 inch barrel. No exit holes at all. Toughest critter I have ever seen. People say Nilgai are even tougher.

That sounds like a tough critter, so of the 7 you only impacted on him with two or three hits? and only two of the two or three you mentioned were well placed? starting the first shot at 100 yards and you figure the last shot was 480 yards or so. I think the penetration could have been better with a little more bullet, say something like the 190gr to 210gr range. I shot a .300 RSAUN for years using a 190gr out of a 26.5" barrel, along with a few 200gr bullets. I'm thinking a 24" might not have been the best length barrel for it, just me. I would think the heavier bullets would perform a little better than the 180gr. Just my 0.2 Cheers... Thanks for the sitrep, appreciate it.

It would be a hunting rig but I'm not following your logic regarding weather and follow up shots.
If you can't run water over a handful of the cartridge of choice, shake it off and run it in your hunting rifle you are likely to have big problems at the wrong time.
It just doesn't make sense to try to run a handy short barrel hunting rifle at 26-28" barrel length velocities to me.
I will say that I do really like Berger 210, and 215 at 2900-3000fps for killing.
Last fall for an experiment I built a 22" 300wm and ran 180 grain bullets suppressed at 2850fps.
My 10 year old son killed a Yukon moose and my daughter and I killed 6 elk dead as a door nail in crap weather.
To each their own, but the ragged edge of too much pressure and hunting in snow and rain are not a great combination.