1st time reloading - 7RM w/ 195 Bergers

I am just getting started reloading altogether and have chose to start with my 7RM. I have a Fierce Rival with a 26" carbon barrel and would like to shoot the 195 Bergers with it. Any pointers/recommendations would be appreciated. Below is a list of what I have compiled so far. Any other powders I should give a try?? Primers?? Do I need mag primers?? They are definitely hard to find!! I would also like to shoot the Berger 180 vld-h. I have heard good things about n570 and 1 of the reloaders. I can't remember which 1. Let me know. Thanks in advance.

100 Berger 195's

Mixture of nosler, Hornady, & Norma once fired brass. Around 100 all together.

H1000
H4530
Retumbo
IMR 7828ssc
Accurate MagPro
VV N560
With my 28 Nosler I have had better results with the Berger 180's then the 195's. H1000 cci magnum primers. Very accurate very long ways

I'm running 195's out of my 28 nosler at 3253 FPS with N570. Very accurate and works very well. Down side is it's a barrel burner but I don't care because I don't shoot it all the time. It was built for one reason and does it well. The twist in mine was geared for the 195. As well throated for the 195.

I developed a load for my friends 7mm browning X-bolt long range, his came with a 1-8 twist. the best load I found was PPU brass under N-570
(69gr.) with the Berger 195eols. I got them to 2950fps under 1/2 in moa. Shot them out to 800 yards and held together a 4-5in group. If you have ADG brass you might get a little better.

I almost forgot, I bought a Bergara in 7mag last year and the twist was 1-8.5 factory. I did have ADG brass available for my own rifle and I used 180 VLDs under N-568 and achieved the the same results , I did not try 195s in mine.

Good luck and as always stated, always start low and work up........

Last edited:
I am just getting started reloading altogether and have chose to start with my 7RM. I have a Fierce Rival with a 26" carbon barrel and would like to shoot the 195 Bergers with it. Any pointers/recommendations would be appreciated. Below is a list of what I have compiled so far. Any other powders I should give a try?? Primers?? Do I need mag primers?? They are definitely hard to find!! I would also like to shoot the Berger 180 vld-h. I have heard good things about n570 and 1 of the reloaders. I can't remember which 1. Let me know. Thanks in advance.
The 180g is where "I" would limit the 7MM RM. "I" am not saying not to do it but, "I" do not think the 7MM RM has enough powder capacity to take full advantage of what it has to offer, but that's me. Yes, magnum primer is ideal for proper ignition.
They are definitely hard to find!! I would also like to shoot the Berger 180 vld-h. I have heard good things about n570 and 1 of the reloaders. I can't remember which 1. Let me know. Thanks in advance.

100 Berger 195's

Mixture of nosler, Hornady, & Norma once fired brass. Around 100 all together.

H1000
H4530
Retumbo
IMR 7828ssc
Accurate MagPro
VV N560
Regardless of powder, primer, and brass combination, your results might vary from others. As far as your mixed brass, be careful as they all have a different volume capacity. Another member recommended contact Berger's tech support (via phone, not e-mail); they are very helpful, and they can get started on some baselines to try. Good luck and happy safe reloading and shooting/hunting.

FWIW, Not the 195gr, but I spoke to Berger and they gave me 69.7gr max N570 for the 190gr LRHT.

I got to 67gr N570 in Peterson brass (Berger used Norma, I think) for 2835 FPS from virgin cases, so probably a little faster. I have an extended throat and load to 3.595" or so though.

This particular rifle with the 190s also did well with Reloader 23, just not as fast.

There isn't a whole lotta difference between the two. If wind is your concern, go 195.
Screenshot_20220213-091850.png

Screenshot_20220213-091803.png

With components being so hard to find, its hard not to run with what you've got on hand.

I'm a huge 7RM fan and have used it extensively for more than 20yrs. The best combo I've found for accuracy and performance on game is the 175 Berger Elite Hunter, Retumbo and Fed 215M's.

I am experimenting with the 177 Hammer Hunter and Reloader 23.

First three loads have shown good promise. I would hunt with all three now, but you know how it is...

Cool thing about these pills, they are always available..Shhh...don't tell everyone not on this site...

I'm running 195's out of my 28 nosler at 3253 FPS with N570. Very accurate and works very well. Down side is it's a barrel burner but I don't care because I don't shoot it all the time. It was built for one reason and does it well. The twist in mine was geared for the 195. As well throated for the 195.
Holy smokes!! 195's at 3253 FPS. That is beyond anything I have heard of on .284 heavy pill. I would be afraid of the bolt penetrating my skull at that level.

Holy smokes!! 195's at 3253 FPS. That is beyond anything I have heard of on .284 heavy pill. I would be afraid of the bolt penetrating my skull at that level.
I'm not the only one shooting them that fast. I got the load from a gentleman in Wyoming. I also talked to Berger and they are fully aware of others running them that fast.

Barrel length? Are you doing this after each firing???

26"
Believe me I slowly kept creeping in on it. But I will say that I couldn't hit it unless I ran good brass. At 1000' feet elevation it takes me 16 Moa to 1000yds. I don't shoot it hardly at all except for checking my zero and off to hunting. My son killed a bull with it at 730 yds and it was 8moa to kill him and he piled right up. My gun is not a factory 28.

Longrangers - This velocity just just exceeds anything I have seen by over 200 FPS. I don't think that case could hold that much powder. If it did, I dont think it would be safe to shoot. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but more than 3250 FPS from a 28N with a 195 gr bullet is not within reasonable expectations regardless of the long throat. How are you measuring velocity?