199 Hammer Hunter & 300 RUM

She's a little older, fluted stainless, thinner sporter. I'm new here and going to be looking for field and gear advice for Colorado public hunt. I will reach out to Boomstickin , he seems to be 300 RUM knowledgeable and would love to try different loads under advice, cant afford alot of 300 RUM ammo. Thank you for the help.
You sir have a fine rifle. The earlier senderos were hard to beat. The newer SF2s were a gamble. Keep her clean and shoot her slow and she'll last you a long time.

I'd load up a heavier grain bullet for the 1:8 Twist, will get a higher BC and more knock down power at longer ranges. When I first started shooting RUM's, Hornady had released Factory 220gr ELD-X and it shot well out of a 26" 1:10 twist…however, the 200gr ELD-X performed much better (side note, these were hand-loads 89gr-93gr Retumbo/Fed 215M/Hornady Brass/ COAL 3.625..with no pressure and well below max powder). Was averaging 3/8"-5/8" pending my performance as a shooter. Tried the Barnes LRX in 200gr with all of the above load info & my rifle liked the ELD-X (most likely due to cup & core vs. monolithic style of bullet). Have not shot the Hammer, IMO there are better options on the market. I like the Hornady, Berger & Barnes, this all based off of real life experiences & usage on game.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me for more info…RUM MAN is a wealth of knowledge on this, he would be the go to if I had questions.😎🤙

I'm not a Hammer-only nut, but they are in another league above Barnes from my personal experience. If he's not shooting past 600 - 800 yds, the Hammers just might be his best choice if he's getting away from the factory Noslers... They will certainly way out-penetrate any of the above-mentioned and provide raking and bad angle shot opportunities others will not. Like I've said before, our 6.5 Max with a little 123 Hammer far out-penetrated the 180 Berger out of my 7-LRM in actual field test in live game...

I'm not a Hammer-only nut, but they are in another league above Barnes from my personal experience. If he's not shooting past 600 - 800 yds, the Hammers just might be his best choice if he's getting away from the factory Noslers...
Can appreciate this perspective for I have little to no experience with the Hammers…shot a factory box of 180's through my 300 Win Mag & they did well. Sub 1" groups, no complaints.

Agree that the 180 Nosler Accu-Bonds are an excellent choice, have seen many large critters expire before hitting the dirt out to 600+ yards.

Good Luck with the project!

I've been shooting 199 HH's in my RUM. 88.5 grns Retumbo, Fed GM 215s, Rem RP prepped brass. 3146 fps on the velocity, 1:9 twist. I think I started getting pressure issues around 92 grns. 88.5 was the most accurate in my gun. Shot a mule deer at 711 yards last year. Shot a doe antelope at 583 yds. I still have some. However, I've been playing with Berger 205 grn Elite Hunters. Probably won't have time to get them dialed in before hunting season, so I'll use the HH's if need be. My only gripe with the HH's is the price compared to Bergers. I ended picking up 5 boxes of Elite Hunters, so we'll be making them work one way or another.

I'd load up a heavier grain bullet for the 1:8 Twist, will get a higher BC and more knock down power at longer ranges. When I first started shooting RUM's, Hornady had released Factory 220gr ELD-X and it shot well out of a 26" 1:10 twist…however, the 200gr ELD-X performed much better (side note, these were hand-loads 89gr-93gr Retumbo/Fed 215M/Hornady Brass/ COAL 3.625..with no pressure and well below max powder). Was averaging 3/8"-5/8" pending my performance as a shooter. Tried the Barnes LRX in 200gr with all of the above load info & my rifle liked the ELD-X (most likely due to cup & core vs. monolithic style of bullet). Have not shot the Hammer, IMO there are better options on the market. I like the Hornady, Berger & Barnes, this all based off of real life experiences & usage on game.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me for more info…RUM MAN is a wealth of knowledge on this, he would be the go to if I had questions.😎🤙
So what your drop dead on the 300 RUM Nosler Ammo ? I could always use a few extra boxes, my gun seems to really like them and its not easy to get.

We have loaded quite a few 8" twist rums with the 199g Hammer Hunter. With n570 we are able to push them to 3400 fps nicely. The last few 8" twist rifle confirmed drops at .323 g7-bc. We have it advertised at .299 g7, which is what we see from 9" twist rifles.
Wow. 3470 sounds crazy fast. How long was the barrel?

So what your drop dead on the 300 RUM Nosler Ammo ? I could always use a few extra boxes, my gun seems to really like them and its not easy to get.
I'll try and bring the derail back a bit. The 180g Hammer Hunter will run over 3400 fps in the 10" twist rum and be tough to beat to 900y.

The 199g Hammer Hunter at 3400 fps from a rum with a 9" or faster twist is tough to beat to 1000y by anything.
Soo your replacing barrels every 750-1000 rounds down the pipe? Curious, how does this affect barrel life?