199 Shock Hammer 300 PRC COAL

Hawk in WY

My 300 PRC has a very short throat. The 199 Shock Hammer .02 off the lands results in COAL of 3.24 which is absurdly short.

The good news is 75 gr of RL-26 shoots the 199 Shock Hammer into one hole at 2,919 fps which Quickload tells me is close to max pressure.

If I use a throat ream to get to where the bullet should be in the case, COAL is 3.54 but Quickload tells me velocity drops to 2,812. To get back to 2,919 would require over 77 grains of powder. Max pressure at 3.54 seems to be around 79 grains for 2,950.

Are there any reasons I should not just leave things as they are?

Please don't tell me I should be shooting lighter bullets. Elk have been dead enough with this weight Barnes bullet.

Are looking for someone to convince you not to change anything? If so, and your pleased with your results then leave it alone. remember, the most important objective is accuracy for us hunters.

You say absurdly short? You mean the bullet is way down inside the case below the neck junction taking up so much room you can't get enough powder in there to get to a reasonable speed?
Then try faster powder or different bullet.
If you just don't like the look of the OAL change bullets.

The short nose radius of the Shock Hammer gains diameter quickly resulting in a shorter coal than a long pointed nose bullet. No big deal as long as they feed and shoot well. If you are not able to get to pressure with the current powder due to available case space, you can look at a faster powder.

I'm building a 300 prc 24 carbon barrel mabye 22 inch h1000 federal lrmbr primers any starting point suggestions looking at the 199 hammer bullets or heavier Berger