180gr Nosler Accubond in 300 Win Mag

Go shoot 2 or 3 of each at the same target… say 200 yds, then you ll know if they are similar enough regarding POI to use interchangeably during hunt.

Same bullet, same terminal performance; just need to see if POI hangs close. (If loaded to similar velocities and OAL I d think they ll be reasonably close) But testing is only way to KNOW!!
Good luck.

I just shot several different brands of loaded ammo and bullets with 180 ABs and 185 Bergers and 190 ABLR in my 300 win and none of them shot to the same POI. However all of them were on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper or as I like to say "minute of elk" at 100 yards. So if you go in blind and limit your shots to 100 yards... Oh what am I saying, you're not going to do that.

Since you are limited on time, my recommendation is to take the 60 rounds and dial your gun in when you get to Montana. Your outfitter will most likely have a spot to do that or if you are self guided, find a spot in the wide open west and dial it in. That way you will be sure of where you are hitting.

I'm going with a buddy and hunting public land. Are we able to sight-in on public?

Let me add... you probably don't want to do that in the same spot you are hunting but on the way in if you can find a side road with a good hill/backstop you should be OK. I see it all the time. Alternatively, you may be able to stop in a gun shop near where you are hunting and ask about a local range or local "shooting spot." I'm sure either round will print suitably to kill an elk at reasonable ranges.

Yea, I'm basically wondering if I use the Federals to sight-in the rifle will the Noslers hit the same spot. I assume they would be a little different because the brass isn't the same and the powder load might be slightly different.
I'd bet that the two will shoot to a different point of aim. I would not gamble what might be a chance of a lifetime on an assumption like that. verify it first, you don't need to shoot a whole box to verify it. Zero with box A then take a shot with box B. It will most likely hit a different spot. It might group nicely but the POI will be different.

I've got a box of Federal Premium and just ordered two boxes of Nosler Trophy Grade. Both are 180gr Nosler Accubond. Will both brands perform the same since the bullets are the same or will there be a difference in performance? I am preparing for an elk hunt in a few weeks and the Federals are sold out everywhere so I was hoping the Trophy Grade will perform the same.
OK, just to keep from beating around the bush, they absolutely will not print the same on the target and each will have a different zero. Will the bullet perform the same in both cartridges, no to that one too. Bullet performance varies with the velocity and energy available at a given range. Change the velocity/energy and you have different performance. The point of impact can even vary with the same ammo but produced on a different day and have different lot numbers. Variations in manufacturing are the cause of this. While the cases and bullets may be a constant different batches of primers and powders and the assembly lines don't always respond the same. The only way to ensure any consistency is to buy ammo all from the same lot otherwise there will be variations in performance box to box. I have had variances of 2 or more inches in the point of impact between lots of the same ammo. Check each box you buy to make sure that they have the same lot number. See the photo below. You will see the lot number in this picture on the upper left hand corner of the box. When you buy multiple boxes make sure that the lot numbers match. There is a good possibility that on the same shelf at the same dealer there may be two or more different lots, the chances of each of them shooting the same is pretty close to nil. Don't take a chance, sight the rifle in with what you are going to be hunting with otherwise there is a chance you might miss your Bull
20211013_184636.jpg
of a lifetime.

Ok, sounds like the Noslers are the way to go. I just ordered another box to give me 60 rounds total. Plenty to get it sighted-in, practice, and take a box to Montana.

Optics Planets has a decent selection of 180gr. $90 for a box of 20 Trophy Grade isn't great but it's the world we are living in right now.

My buddy has a Ridgeline 300WM that absolutely loves the Nosler factory 180 grain Accubond.

However:

Optics Planet? You may or may not receive them before your hunt. Next year….

My buddy has a Ridgeline 300WM that absolutely loves the Nosler factory 180 grain Accubond.

However:

Optics Planet? You may or may not receive them before your hunt. Next year….
I got an email that they shipped the day after I ordered them.

I hope my Mesa feels the same way about them as the Ridgeline.

There seems to be an issue with Nosler 180 gr Accubonds. Last year I took a moose at 410 yards. The shot took out both lungs but there was only a tiny entry wound and no external blood. I just got back from a rough week moose hunting in Newfoundland. I shot a bull at about 325 yards down a steep slope with my .300 WM. The guide had glass on the moose. Bullet hit front quarter, but obviously missed bone. The bull was knocked down. It got back up and moved towards the woods. I got a broadside shot at 380 yards and a solid hit. It kept stumbling towards the forest. At 450 I shot it again. It couldn't climb the hill through the trees and stood shaking a moment and then stepped downward off the trail. We had people stationed where we could watch the entire periphery of the forest. It was an island of thick forest surrounded by bogs in the midst of a much bigger forest. After over 30 minutes we went down and where it fell after the first shot there was no blood. No blood at the second or third impacts. 4 of us searched for hours through the thickest forest I've ever been in and couldn't find the moose. The guides said that it could not have gotten out but we could walk by it three feet away and not see it. My guide said that this was the third time in 3 weeks they'd had a similar thing happen with the Nosler ballistic tip rounds. One moose they did get a blood trail but the moose still was able to get into the deep woods and disappear. The outfitter is strongly recommending against those rounds now and is considering banning them. Has anyone else had this problem?