180gr Nosler Accubond in 300 Win Mag

jaw719

I've got a box of Federal Premium and just ordered two boxes of Nosler Trophy Grade. Both are 180gr Nosler Accubond. Will both brands perform the same since the bullets are the same or will there be a difference in performance? I am preparing for an elk hunt in a few weeks and the Federals are sold out everywhere so I was hoping the Trophy Grade will perform the same.

If you're asking if they will print to the same POI, then no one will have an answer…..
You will need to check this.
If you're asking if the bullets will perform the same, then yes they will, but I doubt the 2 will have the same velocity or produce the same size groups….again you will have to check this with the ammo.

Cheers.

If you're asking if they will print to the same POI, then no one will have an answer…..
You will need to check this.
If you're asking if the bullets will perform the same, then yes they will, but I doubt the 2 will have the same velocity or produce the same size groups….again you will have to check this with the ammo.

Cheers.
Yea, I'm basically wondering if I use the Federals to sight-in the rifle will the Noslers hit the same spot. I assume they would be a little different because the brass isn't the same and the powder load might be slightly different.

Yea, I'm basically wondering if I use the Federals to sight-in the rifle will the Noslers hit the same spot. I assume they would be a little different because the brass isn't the same and the powder load might be slightly different.
I doubt it very much that they will go to the same POI…weirder things have happened…

Cheers.

So I have done this. Winchester 140 Accubonds and Nosler Trophy 140 Accubonds. Not only was the POI different but the velocities were too. 7 mag. 168 ABLR in Nosler and in Winchester. Again different POI, velocities were close 40 fps different. You are going to want to shoot what you practiced with on the range. Might not be much different but mine were over an inch at 100yds for my rifles.

Ok, sounds like the Noslers are the way to go. I just ordered another box to give me 60 rounds total. Plenty to get it sighted-in, practice, and take a box to Montana.

Im impressed that you found 180 grain Noslers. Those are hard to come by.

Optics Planets has a decent selection of 180gr. $90 for a box of 20 Trophy Grade isn't great but it's the world we are living in right now.

I have a savage 110 300wm ba/le 26" barrel that loves berger210vld target, but a friend has the same gun that doesn't work so well in his gun.

Ok, sounds like the Noslers are the way to go. I just ordered another box to give me 60 rounds total. Plenty to get it sighted-in, practice, and take a box to Montana.

Optics Planets has a decent selection of 180gr. $90 for a box of 20 Trophy Grade isn't great but it's the world we are living in right now.
I think you may be missing what people are meaning. Let your rifle tell you which brand is the way to go. One may group well and one may group like crap…no way to tell until you shoot the ammo through your gun.

Last edited:
Oh I understand, but with a newborn and only two weeks until the hunt I kind of have to take what I can get. Plus it's really hard to find good ammo.

That's why I bought higher end bullets with the hopes they would shoot well.

Reloaded a while now, and my first guess would be absolutely not. Only small possibility that they would and absolutely not worth gambling a hunt or bad shot on an animal.

In my experience with Nosler loads and Federal loads, the Nosler will be a little hotter and even though Federal says "Premium" they mean the bullet, not the factory loading. Go to the range and shoot a group with both to see which one works best in your rifle, you'll still have plenty of rounds for your hunt.