180 Grain Bullet 3400 FPS or better

Your idea of the 7-300 WBY is probably the simplest option that will get you close, I think with the 172gr absolute Hammers you should be able to make your goal, their website says that 3200 should be doable in 7mm rem. Steve would def have more info and insight, he likes fast bullets too!

Goona need a 30" tube or longer.

If 180 grains, and 3400 fps are the parameters? A standard .338 RUM, will run the 180 Accubond 3550 fps without undo strain.

For short range pure horsepower Barre burning hunting loads, look for the 3500-3700 fps node. Zero at 300 makes for 6-8" low at 400. And never over 2-3/4" high inside of 300. And still has a surplus of energy 6-700 yards for North American medium game.
thanks

Forget Lapua, go straight to 416 Rigby, neck it down to 7mm, choose a shoulder angle between 35 and 45, blow it out fully and go shoot. A 180 will be in excess of 3500fps easily.
I have a 338-416 Rigby Improved with 45 degree shoulder, no bullet I can shoot in it are slower than 3300fps.
Berger's don't like this speed unfortunately.

Cheers.

Is there a caliber out there that isn't a fire form wildcat (one step neck down "wildcat" is fine) that can send a 180 Grain bullet at 3400 FPS or better and shoot/group well? This would strictly be a hunting rifle. Action length doesn't matter. Bolt face doesn't matter. Barrel Burner doesn't matter.

I dont believe 7STW, 7- 300 WBY, 28 Nosler will get you there

Looking more towards 7mm because of better BC. Any input would be appreciated. 28" max Barrel length, preferably a 26" Barrel

Thanks
I have a 338 ultra mag that shoots 180 accubonds at 3750 fps. It is very accurate. 30" Lilja barrel with a trued single shot 700 action. The lower bc is not a problem with that velocity out to 600 yards or so.

It's probably already been done and very well have been done by someone here . Take the 30-378 and neck that sucker down to 7 mm that should put you where you wanna be. You said barrel burner not a problem ! Lol that combo should get you there easily I'd think . Now as far as the 26 inch barrel maybe, maybe not. It may need a little more run way than that to burn all the jet fuel

appreciate the info. Any real world testimonies on those absolute hammers? Dad had a 7-300 Weatherby for years, took many a deer with it. Beings as i have a 300 wby and 6.5 weatherby, i could simply neck up or down to get to the 7MM.7-300 Weatherby isnt the top dog though in 7MM. The 6.5-300 is in 6.5. Would like to have the fastest 7MM capable of pushing 180 grain bullets
I'm not sure if anyone has tried that particular absolute hammer (the 172) as they're pretty new, but there's a really long thread detailing the lineup as a whole. I think it's called "Introducing the Absolute Hammer" or thereabouts. Sure you could find it with a search. Seems line most of them are getting at least 100fps over standard bullets in the same weight range with some getting 2-300 more. That bullet will also fly out of an 8 twist at those speeds which is nice so you're not limited if you want to try something else. The only thing is the BC is a little lower than most bullets in that weight range and without having run the numbers, I would think something like a 184 or 190 Berger at 3200 would out perform the 172 at 3400 when going past 1k. Just something to consider.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.