What caliber to shoot 140 - 142 grain bullets 3300 fps or more?

My 270 WSM shoots 145 ELD-X at 3220 with Rldr 26. You probably don't want to hit bone under 200 yds with that set up but it would be a flat shooter!

Regardless of what heavy recoil the caliber puts out there are other things you need to address. Maximum speeds require longer barrel lengths making traversing through brush and branches more difficult. You will also have a higher weight factor to carry. This can lead to some exhaustion which leads to misplaced shots.
Accuracy is far more important than speed and the ability to make accurate shots has little to do with speed as long as the B.C. and sectional density is enough for the killing shot. In all of the past 50 plus years of reloading, I have never been able to achieve my most accurate groups with my highest speed of the bullet. Maybe someone else has but I have my doubts.
I built a 300 RUM with a 30 inch barrel to enable a 2 mile shot. But, at close to 15 lbs do I want to carry it hunting? Absolutely not! It groups tightest at 3216fps but I have loaded it to over 3318 fps with a 210gr Nosler Accubond. So dropping my speed just requires a different adjustment to my scope.
Take a look at muzzle shots and how they will cross plane at around 300 yards with a high peak of 4 inches or less. This should give you a better understanding of what you are looking for.

Best choice if you want factory ammo is gonna be a 270 or 7mm magnum of some sort. 270 WSM or 7mm Rem Mag would be my choice. Might not break 3300 fps but you'll come close in a 26" barrel.

There are some .264 calibers out there that will hit your performance goals with factory ammo. I'm not personally a fan of the .264s for elk hunting though, so I'll forego any specific recommendations here.

If you're willing to have a rifle built or at least reload your own ammo there are a lot of great options. I'd probably do a 7mm-300 Win Mag or 28 Nosler. Build it with a 9 twist so you can shoot the 180 grain bullets if you ever get the itch.

One other thing to consider would be a big 30 cal of some sort. I know you said 140 grain bullets but you can hit 3300+ with a 150 grain bullet and a 300 Win Mag (or 300 Wby). Do the same thing with a 165 grain bullet and a 300 RUM, 30-338 Lapua, or 30-378 Weatherby. Elk are tough customers so if they're regularly on the docket I'd be looking hard at the 30 calibers.

I thought this was going to be another "6.5 discussion".
yes, the 264 Win will do what you want. 270 Weatherby will, my 270 based off the 7MM Rem Mag did it, I am told the 270 sherman will, 6.5-06 AI will not, but close. 300 win mag with 125, 130, 150 grain slugs will. 26, 27, 28 and 30 nosler will do what you ask. 7MM and 30 RUM will do what you ask, dare I say the 20MM solothurn will, GAU 8 will, l am sure the 50 BMG will not (limited to 3029 with a 655 grain slug but if you sabot it, the 30 caliber 190 grain will travel at nearly 4800 FPS). getting back on track, the 30-378 Weatherby will with a 150, 165, and 180 grain slugs. 308 Norma will send a 130 and 150 grain slugs at 3300 FPS. 300 H&H will do what you wish with 130 and 150 grain slugs. There might be some other cartridge that will do what you wish.. but the other twelve I know will not take down the animals you are after..
Thanks Tribb

Best choice if you want factory ammo is gonna be a 270 or 7mm magnum of some sort. 270 WSM or 7mm Rem Mag would be my choice. Might not break 3300 fps but you'll come close in a 26" barrel.

There are some .264 calibers out there that will hit your performance goals with factory ammo. I'm not personally a fan of the .264s for elk hunting though, so I'll forego any specific recommendations here.

If you're willing to have a rifle built or at least reload your own ammo there are a lot of great options. I'd probably do a 7mm-300 Win Mag or 28 Nosler. Build it with a 9 twist so you can shoot the 180 grain bullets if you ever get the itch.

One other thing to consider would be a big 30 cal of some sort. I know you said 140 grain bullets but you can hit 3300+ with a 150 grain bullet and a 300 Win Mag (or 300 Wby). Do the same thing with a 165 grain bullet and a 300 RUM, 30-338 Lapua, or 30-378 Weatherby. Elk are tough customers so if they're regularly on the docket I'd be looking hard at the 30 calibers.
For elk ican use my 7 rem. mag. with 160 partitions or accubonds. Shoots them at 3115 fps very accurately. My southern whitetail spot is a power line. Have to be on ready,know the range ahead of time, pick up rifle , acquire correct sight picture , "maaaa" stopped deer, bang dead! Flatter trajectory will definitely help here.

Don't be afraid to try a 120 grain bullet in your 7 mag. Out to 500 yards they do really well. But since you said cost of ammo and recoil are not big concerns I'd love to see you shooting a 30-378. 150 grain bullets at 3600+ will shoot pretty flat.

My 7mm WSM shoots a 145.5gr mono at 3350fps from a short action with an Alpha mag, but it does have 27" of barrel.

I would like to shoot as flat a trajectory as practical. I'm not concerned about recoil,action length, price of brass, price of factory ammo or whether to reload. I can shoot factory loads and be happy. I just want to shoot deer, antelope and occasionally an elk to 500 yards.Any and all comments, suggestions are appreciated
Any off the shelf.260 and up caliber hunting ammunition will take an Elk at 500 yards. I don't understand the need for such a high velocity. I have had better results with a heavier bullet and slower velocities. They tend to carry further and retain more energy, plus they have a better BC.
Just my thoughts.

Any off the shelf.260 and up caliber hunting ammunition will take an Elk at 500 yards. I don't understand the need for such a high velocity. I have had better results with a heavier bullet and slower velocities. They tend to carry further and retain more energy, plus they have a better BC.
Just my thoughts.

You make a great point. If you are shooting coyotes and varmints then I get it.

But for medium and large game like the OP mentioned, thats going to be a lot of blown shoulders with no penetration, especially with Non Bonded bullets.

Now if your in to Mono's and trying to run some Hammers at that speed then go right ahead.

And yes heavier is better, more penetration and energy.

The best all-around caliber for what you want to shoot would be a 7mm Rem Mag and here's why: 1. Weight ( you can get this rifle off the shelf at 7 lbs. or less. 2. You can get barrel lengths between 24"-26" (making carrying it through rough country easier than longer barrels.) 3. Ammunition (you can find a box of ammo usually in many bullet weight variables in almost any store selling ammo.)
4. Selection (most rifle manufactures build rifles in this caliber making selection favorable) 5. Resale (this caliber is still a very popular caliber and is always in demand) 6. Barrel wear (barrel life of this caliber is almost 3 to 4 times longer than the 280 Nosler, 7mm STW or 7mm RUM )
So, regardless about everyone's expressed stories and tales on how their favorite caliber is the best, for what you have asked of us, this caliber fits your request beyond any doubts. If you want more rifle than this then you will get more weight, barrel length and less barrel life without a huge improvement.

My 7mm RM is pushing 143 Hammer Hunters at 3335 with RL 26. Very close to a max load. I dont know that I would get that velocity with every bullet of that weight class though. I think there is pixie dust or something on these Hammers! Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.