What caliber to shoot 140 - 142 grain bullets 3300 fps or more?

I would like to shoot as flat a trajectory as practical. I'm not concerned about recoil,action length, price of brass, price of factory ammo or whether to reload. I can shoot factory loads and be happy. I just want to shoot deer, antelope and occasionally an elk to 500 yards.Any and all comments, suggestions are appreciated
Nosler is about to introduce a 27 Nosler which will more than exceed your requirements and you can use the 165 grain ABLR bullet if you choose to. Velocities between 3300 - 3600 fps will be easily obtainable depending on the bullet between a 130 grains and a 165 grains that you choose.

When the 7 STW first became known, the standard load was a 140 grain bullet @ 3500 ft/sec. A Square was the first company to offer ammo for it and their loading was 140 grain partitions @ 3500 ft/sec. My rifle was built for velocity and had a 31" barrel. I pushed it to 3800 ft/sec but bullets started shedding their jackets somewhere between 3750 and 3800 so I backed of to 3700 and found a node that shot very well.

Today's rifles don't have the free bore to handle the pressures at these velocities, so velocities like these are not possible unless some thought go's into the build. But with today's components 3500 ft/sec using a 140 grain bullet is very doable.

This thing was a Laser but was hard on barrels and brass.

J E CUSTOM
Thanks for your input sir. More freebore would put my thoughts toward a custom reamer or a weatherby caliber. Have two 257 weatherbies already.

Nosler is about to introduce a 27 Nosler which will more than exceed your requirements and you can use the 165 grain ABLR bullet if you choose to. Velocities between 3300 - 3600 fps will be easily obtainable depending on the bullet between a 130 grains and a 165 grains that you choose.
I had heard and read here that it was supposed to be coming.I assume no one has any ideas about the amount of powder a 270 nosler would consume??

My 6.5 Sherman shoots 140 Berger's at 3339 FPS out of a 28" Hart. That's basically max in my rifle. Brass did last 4-5 firings. For those speeds I'd get something that's not loaded to its max to achieve those velocities.
Makes to me.

Just guessing, but I believe he doesn't want to calculate holdovers so he is limiting himself to 500 yards, a 250 yard zero and a super flat shooting rifle. I don't believe he wants to use a ballistic calculator, etc. to calculate holdover or twisting turrets. My guess on the motivation for his guestion.
Loaded up some 147 gr FMJ's once (only 5) in 300 win mag. Scared me so bad I took 3 home and pulled them...Pro crono showed 400 ft/s...
Wow!!!!

Heck yeah and barrel would probably last 20 plus years at 50 shots per year? Thoughts?

As mentioned the 270Wby would be my first choice, second would be the 26 Nosler, 3rd the 28 Nosler. You are asking about 140 or 142Gr bullets so I originally assumed 6.5, but as many have stated, there are better vehicles if the intent is 500 and in. I am actually a huge fan of the 300 Roy and 130 TSXs at 3800. At 300 yards the bullet hits the deer before the sound of the shot gets to my ears and with a Braked barrel I can still watch the hit. Pretty slick.
Thank you I had actually put 270 Wby.on my possible list. The 130 in300 wby sounds interesting as does it I 300 Winchester

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.