180 or 165 grain for 300 rum

power300rum

debating on the 180 or the 165 grain bullet
i want it to leave a big hole (bigger the better) but choosing one of them 2 grains....max shooting distance is probly 200 yrds in the woods

what bullet expands more at that range?
im thinking 165 but idk thats y im asking

i want it to leave a big hole (bigger the better) but choosing one of them 2 grains....max shooting distance is probly 200 yrds in the woods

im thinking 165 but idk thats y im asking[/QUOTE

I would recommend the 180 or 200grain ballistic tips for greater expansion and the 180 and 200
grain Accubonds for hogs or Elk .

The 300 RUM does better with bigger bullets IMO.

J E CUSTOM

I started with the 180's in my 300 RUM and have now moved to the 200 gr and above bullets. The 200 Gr AccuBond would be my choice for the Max 200 Yard range you will be hunting at.

It is my under standing the AccuBond is chemically bonded and will hold together beter at that close a range than non bonded and other bonded bullets.

Last edited:
IMO, anything less than 180 gr in the 300 RUM is spinning your wheels. For traditional jacketed lead bullets, I would recommend a 200 gr or larger. For monometals I would recommend the 180 E-Tip which I have been shootimg in my RUM. I've also just ordered some GS HV 177's which I expect to give much better range. I should be reporting on them in coming months.

-Mark

190 bergers are a pretty good bet to, but the 3 300rum we have love the 210vld
A friend shoots the 190vlds with authority out of his RUM, but I never really understood the decision to go with the 190 over the 210. I've never researched wind drift and what not at the velocities of the RUM, but the cartridge definitely has the horsepower to shoot the heavys. If you can shoot a high BC bullet close to the same speed or accuracy node as a lower BC bullet, the high BC bullet wins out every time! In a RUM, I'd shoot the heaviest bullet I could get, provided the cost was comparable. I've always wanted to try the GS Custom 177s in my '06 but at 2bux a bullet, they can keep them...

Interesting that you chose the 300rum to shoot 200 yards.

In terms of the bullet that will leave a big hole is more about construcion rather than weight. You need a bullet that will expand quickly....ballistic tips, game kings etc.

If you know it's close range, go with the 180 barnes. It will stay togeather even at very high velocities. Long range 210 Berger VLDs are AWESOME.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.