168 amax

darrindlh

I'm thinking of the 168 grn amax with a bc of .475 going 3200fps out of my 300 winmag. This would be for Mule deer and a max range of 600yrds. what do you think? Anything better for that range?

Darrin

Last edited:
In my mind, the purpose of using a frangible bullet like the amax is better suited for longer ranges and lower velocities for adequete long range expansion.

By running them at 3200 FPS and calling 600 yards as max, the AMAX is not optimum.

For that velocity and range, I would look to the ACCUBOND or Interbond or similar. Even the 180 TTSX would be a better choice. All have devent BC's and will hold together on impact at the velocities you are running them.

Now if you are talking about shots WAY out there, the AMAX starts to make sense.

If you do decide to go the route of the AMAX, concider using one with more material. At least the 178 and preferabley the 208. You will need more mass to get from one end of the critter to the other at your impact speeds.

i here what your saying. The only reason I am calling them 600yd max is b/c my range-finder only goes to 600 non-reflexive on deer and elk size game. I have entered them in to my ballistic calculator and at 6000 ft where I live here in Idaho it is no doubt a 1100yd target and coyote cartridge. however I have to practice to get there.

Darrin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.