162gr Amax question

Thanks VH, thats a start. The 160/162 class will be as light as I go, I'm leaning towards a 9 twist as I will mostly be looking at 180 gr Bergers, 190 gr JLKs and 200 gr Wildcats.

Anybody gone over 3200 with the Amax?

Chris

Chris...
I have a multitude of different big 7's, and have run the present style 162 A-Max out if most of them at over 3200 with no issues. These bullets never seemed to shoot well at the hyper velocity. I never settled on it as I went to the heavies in all of them.

What barrel lenght and twist would you guys recommend for the 162gr bullets.
I have a bone stock rem. 700 adl right now and was wondering if the stock barrel would improve with a heavier bullet. Been shooting 150gr bullets right now, but after reading all the great info on the 162gr I was thinking of trying it out. The stock barrel is 24", i've been told that a longer barrel could help. If I go with a premium barrel I would want to get one to utilize the 162's.

What barrel lenght and twist would you guys recommend for the 162gr bullets.
I have a bone stock rem. 700 adl right now and was wondering if the stock barrel would improve with a heavier bullet. Been shooting 150gr bullets right now, but after reading all the great info on the 162gr I was thinking of trying it out. The stock barrel is 24", i've been told that a longer barrel could help. If I go with a premium barrel I would want to get one to utilize the 162's.

My 7RM with 24" barrel shoots the 162's really well. I can't remember the twist, but it is the Remington stock twist rate. Best 5 shot group is just over 5/8" at 200yds !

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.