162 Hornady BTSP

Truc

My 7 STW has a slow twist and will not stabilize the 168-180 Bergers. Just wondering if the Hornady 162 BTSP bullet or a 160 Sierra BTSP is too explosive at 3100 fps.
Thanks

Do you happen to know your twist rate?

Most are between 1:9 and 1:9.5 for twist.

If your barrel is a 1:10 the 160 gr bullets might, but not sure. You might have to drop down to 150 gr loads.

Either of those bullets should be ok, as long as you are not right on top of them. I am saying at least 75 yards or so.

I did the cleaning rod and patch to measure as I bought the rifle used, it comes up w/ 1-11 or so. It does stabilize the 162's fine even put 2 in the same hole at 100 yds. and one off a 1/2" so it does seem to shoot well.

I did the cleaning rod and patch to measure as I bought the rifle used, it comes up w/ 1-11 or so. It does stabilize the 162's fine even put 2 in the same hole at 100 yds. and one off a 1/2" so it does seem to shoot well.
I wouldn't call that stabilizing them just fine... You might have to step down to the 140's with that slow of a twist.

If the barrel shoots good, and has alot of life left, and you don't mind shooting 140gr bullets, then leave it alone, and drop bullet weight. But if you want to shoot 160-180's you're gonna need a 1:9 twist.

Bullet weight alone doesn't affect tabilization but maybe 2/3 of the equation...Bullet design has to do with it as well. If the bullet has a really long bearing surface, you're gonna need a faster twist to stabilize it.

If that thing really is a 1:11, you need to find whoever paid good money to have that built with a 1:11 barrel, and break your foot off in their hindparts as hard as you can...

A 7mm (any caliber) with anything more than a 9.5 twist is basically useless, unless you plan on shooting 120-140 gr bullets tops.

Personally, I shoot 160 or heavier in my 7mm's. Even my 7mm-08.

I did try the 150 Swifts Sirrocco's, I only shot one and it slightly keyholed. I also loaded up some FB 154 Hornadys to try them. They are shorter than all the other bullets I've tried.
I have shot the 140 Hornady BTSP, but had them pretty much blow up not on but in a deer w/ my 7 SAUM. another 300 fps might make it fail.
Anyone know the length of the 140 Nosler Accubond bullet? Are they the same as the 140 BT. I have some of these and may try to see if they stabilize.
Thanks

I did try the 150 Swifts Sirrocco's, I only shot one and it slightly keyholed. I also loaded up some FB 154 Hornadys to try them. They are shorter than all the other bullets I've tried.
I have shot the 140 Hornady BTSP, but had them pretty much blow up not on but in a deer w/ my 7 SAUM. another 300 fps might make it fail.
Anyone know the length of the 140 Nosler Accubond bullet? Are they the same as the 140 BT. I have some of these and may try to see if they stabilize.
Thanks
I would not shoot the FB's at all. Try the interbond in 140gr and see what that does for you. It's an excellent bullet when it comes to terminal ballistics.

What make rifle are you shooting?

I had a 11T Pac Nor super match set up with zero freebore, exclusively for the 140g and 150g Nosler C/T bullets, and it also shot the 120g Nosler bt and Barnes TTSX. I only shot IMR 7828, fed 215's.

140g C/T accuracy load was at 3650, groups were .300 and below with high power 8x32 scope
120g nos bt and Barnes ttsx velocity was at 3850 with groups around .200 on three shot groups that repeated time after time.
Powder used ith the 120's was 7828 and R22

The 140g C/T bullet kills so effectively at this velocity and accuracy, I never shot the 150g C/T.

1:10 twist 280AI and it'll shoot 120 BT, 139 Interbond and yes 160 accubond. Maybe I just got lucky?
I personally wouldn't take any close range shots at critters with the bullets you mentioned at that velocity.