162 Gr A max and Elk / Moose

Sako 75

Any real life results on how the 162 Gr A max handles moose and elk? I beleive the website says they can handle thin skinned game but has anyone used them on bigger game? How do they hold up at close range under 100 yards in particular? Thanks in advance.

Any real life results on how the 162 Gr A max handles moose and elk? I beleive the website says they can handle thin skinned game but has anyone used them on bigger game? How do they hold up at close range under 100 yards in particular? Thanks in advance.
I would not use the Amax.

If Hornady is your preferred bullet use the Interlock or Interbond.

I have taken 1 bull elk with the 162 Amax from my STW.
Distance was about 200 yards, and I was launching them at 3250 fps.
If I'm remembering correctly the recovered weight was 31 grains.
Basically a shredded jacket with one small piece of lead is all that was left.
Shattered a rib going in and stopped just short of the shoulder bone on the offside.
Shredded the lungs.
In my mind the bullet was too fragile for all around elk hunting. I knew this going in but chose to use it in this circumstance and choose my shots with that in mind.

My 12 year old son used the same set up to take a cow at 600ish.
The exact distance escapes me at the moment.
The bullet entered behind the shoulder angled to the opposite shoulder.
I could find no damage on the far side of the ribcage, and the bullet was not recovered.
The lungs were shredded big time.
This cow is what tipped me off to the 162 Amax being too fragile for my liking as an all around elk bullet.

I've killed 2 bull moose with amax's. one 155 and one with the 208. Neither kill was pretty and both were never planned. I would have never intentionally chosen the Amax as a moose bullet but due to last minute circumstances, they got used. In both cases, bones (other than ribs) were involved. In both cases, neck bones were involved. One was at 440 yards and the other at 25 yards. They evaporate on bigger bones and even evaporate in rib cages of big bulls.

I've killed quite a number of deer and sheep sized critters with them and would never hesitate to use them or hesitate to recommend them on such game, but bigger game such as mature bull elk or moose, I would never recommend them nor plan to use them. You're begging for trouble.

I've shot plenty of medium size whitetails with the 162 A-Max. The bullets typically disintegrate like V-Max bullets do on groundhogs. They kill (deer) just as quickly too. :D
However, bullets that encountered bone never exit. Based on my experience, I would not consider them a viable bullet for any game animal larger then deer. With so many high quality 7mm bullets out there why take a chance with such a fragile bullet?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.