15AMP vs 20AMP circuit for reloading room?

Troutslayer2

I'm working on the layout for a full remodel of my reloading room. I'm going to put in 7-8 outlets and really trying to talk myself into or out of 20AMP. At this time I only reload on a single stage press and about the only thing that I need power for is the Chargemaster, maybe the vacuum to clean up, maybe a desk lamp in the fly tying area- nothing that draws a lot of amps. Is there anything reloading related that necessitates 20AMP? This is in a finished basement, dedicated room and I will not be running power tools. I do all of my trimming and tumbling in the garage. Just wondering if it's worth the expense and the slightly bigger hassle of pulling the bigger wires.

I'll post some before and after when it's done. Going to have an 8' bench counter height above 6' of cabinets. Outlets at the right height. I put in 9 LED cans in a space that is only like 9' x 13' so it's like being in daylight.

Run a 14/3 wire (you have to pull a wire anyway). Come into a 2 gang switch so if you don't need all the lights don't turn them on. Use the red wire for lights and the black wire for the outlets and the common neutral. Install a 2 pole 15 amp breaker in the panel. 2 circuits and you are working with your lighter wire. Come out of the 2 gang switch with 14/2.

You could run 12-2 paired with a 15 amp breaker, outlets rated up to 20 amps. If you decide you need more juice then it's a simple breaker change at the panel.
Just a thought here though- 20 amp is common for commercial applications, and rarely seen in residential. Are you concerned that you may need enough for a commercial operation?

One last note- Add up all the stickers on the items you plan to energize on that circuit, including lights. Do all of the amperes listed on those stickers add up to or exceed 15amps? If so, go with 20. If not, then no need to worry.

I'm more on the 20 amp side......I always seem to find more and more things to plug in as time goes by. 15 would probably be fine but would suck if it's not. There are times that I have the tumbler going, case trimmer with vacuum, the case feeder on the press. In the back ground the dehumidifier rod in the safe, cell phone charger and who knows what else......Soon there will probably be a annealing machine running. Put more plugs than you think you need!

Go 20 amp. Breakers cost exactly the same. Wire is only a little more expensive and it shouldn't take you anymore time. Check state electrical codes more than likely need afci breaker. If you don't know what you are doing hire it done. Some bad and illegal advice above.

I've put some 20amp lines/service in my home when remodeling. None of it was ever needed and just a waste of time and money. 12ga wire is a bit more difficult to work with in tight boxes.
When remodeling the kitchen I just used additional 15amp lines to prevent overloading in a room where that is more likely.
I'm not familiar with the issue the RHOVEE (above) mentioned but, given the possibility, I would run a 15amp line for the outlets and another for lights , etc. That would give you the best of both worlds.
FWIW - my reloading room is in the basement of my 50 year old home. All of my reloading equipment (scales, dispenser, case prep tools, etc) all run off a single, original 15amp electric outlet. I have never had any problems. I could easily add a dedicated line for my reloading needs but have never found it to be necessary.
It's never a bad idea to play it safe by using a qualified electrician, particularly when working off the main.

Go 20 amp. Breakers cost exactly the same. Wire is only a little more expensive and it shouldn't take you anymore time. Check state electrical codes more than likely need afci breaker. If you don't know what you are doing hire it done. Some bad and illegal advice above.
Good advice. If not to code when selling your home you may need to have the wiring brought up to code. Much easier to do the proper installation now. Proper wire size, conduit, breakers and the rest. Never hurts to have too much current available, you only pay for what you use.
Never turn your body into the fusible link.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.