1500 Yard Elk Caliber

I don't know how to build a 1,500 yard rifle for $1,000......I wish I did.

Just my whitetail rig starting from scratch on a new Rem 700 action (with the NF scope) is gonna cost me **** near the $4,000 mark....And it's gonna be chambered in .280 AI......Not even a big bore, but it will be a 1K yard deer rifle.

My point is, to build a rifle like that, you're gonna be REAL close to that $3K-$4K mark once you put a really good piece of glass on top of it, to be able to see clearly out to 1,500 yards...

I should have been more specific. I meant a complete rifle I could have built for the $1k figure. Glass will add another $1k-$2k, no question here on that.

The Savage rifle is capable of and typically produces 1/2 MOA or better and can be rebarreled by a normal guy. There are a lot of gunsmith fees this eliminates, making my $1k figure possible.

I am not trying to go cheap simply for the sake of going cheap. My scope prices listed above should indicate that. But I do want to spend wisely in order to facilitate more shooting!

The 375 AX will push the 350 smk about 2900 fps with a 28" barrel, the 338 edge +p will push the 300 grain SMK at about 3000-3100 fps depending on which brass you use and i dont know of any cartridge that will push a 240 smk at 3550'. If you use the 300 grain berger instead of the SMK the 338 edge +p make an easy 1500 yard elk rifle.

Does DE offer Savage prefits? This may be the hottest round that could be safely handled this platform, but it sounds like ti would fit the bill.

Unfortunately DE does not to the prefit or just barrel and action, but it they offered that a prefit 338 Edge +P would be the ticket.

I've built a few budget ELR rifles specifically for pounding elk and it's tough to do, even on a Savage but I have two LR hammers that do well that will come close. I'll post a build list this evening that might help you.

Savage long action $325 dollars, recoil lug $35, Stockaded P-dog stock and hydro dipping $360, Brux fluted 338 med palma barrel $425, brake $120, EGW HD rail $89, Burris tac rings $90 and a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 $825. Total without labor and scope $1444 .
You can get a prefit barrel for a Savage in 338 RUM and put the barrel on yourself then do all the work yourself. The rifle is a 338 RUM and pushes a 300 OTM at 2800fps.

026.jpg

The other budget elk slayer build has the epoxy curing on the bedding as we speak but I've shot it a bit to verify potential.
Rem 7mag ADL with barrel and stock sold of $200, recoil lug $35, Hart stock $200, Brux fluted med palma barrel $425, brake $120, Nightforce rail $114 and rings $125, bottom metal $20 from a yard sale, pillars $39, Callahan . Total without labor and scope $1278.
The closest a guy could come to this without a lathe and stuff is to get a Rem prefit barrel with nut from Pac-nor and lap the lugs without truing the whole action.
It's hard to build a serious ELR elk rig on a super tight budget but it can be done especially if you gather parts cheap that guys are selling of and hit sales!
686.jpg

Wish I could catch a good sale around here.....Even the folks on Armslist want full-blown retail + tax for used ADL's from Academy they paid $379 for. They're selling them for $450 or better...It's insane. I might as well just have my smith order me a new stainless 700 action from Brownells for $550 for my build... LOL

Savage long action $325 dollars, recoil lug $35, Stockaded P-dog stock and hydro dipping $360, Brux fluted 338 med palma barrel $425, brake $120, EGW HD rail $89, Burris tac rings $90 and a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 $825. Total without labor and scope $1444 .
You can get a prefit barrel for a Savage in 338 RUM and put the barrel on yourself then do all the work yourself. The rifle is a 338 RUM and pushes a 300 OTM at 2800fps.

What length barrel are you using to get a 338 RUM to drive a 300gr pill at 2800fps? I'd be happy with this spec I think as it would not fall below 2000ft/lbs until about 1300 yards.

Thanks for posting the specs, this is similar to what I had in mind. I do not have a lathe, nor the skill to go with it. So I'd need a prefit for this build.

Here is the build I had in mind:

- Savage Action
- Stockade Stock (Money Saver version, Coyote or Elk Stalker Model)
- McGowen Prefit Barrel (they have 338 Lapua, RUM, Edge, as well as 375 Reamers on hand, caliber undetermined, and hence this thread)
- Recoil Lug
- One of the heavier base/ring combos
- One of the better brakes on the market

So that would total something like $1100-$1200, and be ready to add glass to, and given the calibers McGowen has reamers for and my minimum criteria, 1300 yards should be achievable.

OR

I will just buy a Savage 110 FCP/LRH in 338 Lapua, and have tha added bonus of a DBM.

The barrel on the Savage is just over 29in, I want to say there was a guy smoke a bull at 1400 something with a rifle much like what your wanting to build.

I would have McGowen chamber you up a 338 Edge then get the Bertram brass from DE, this would let you push that 300gr pill as good as you can do on the Savage action, you'd have to single sled them of course but most the time that's how a guy ends up rolling anyway so not a big deal.
The Stockade money saver is a good way to roll, better get one on order cause it takes time to get. I think a guy can definitely get it done just going to take some patience and parts tracking.

Alot of people make this harder than it is. Cheap does not mean good. Buy a 338-378 Weatherby accumark, put a Burris Eliminator 3 set it for 110 inches of drop for 750 yds, BC of 67 and load up 109.5 gr of RL 25 behind a Barnes 280 LRX and Win MAG Primer. Skim bed action and recoil lug ,adjust trigger and shoot 1/4 groups at a hundred all day long. Drops Elk at 1000 plus in there tracks with good bullet placement.lightbulb

Alot of people make this harder than it is. Cheap does not mean good. Buy a 338-378 Weatherby accumark, put a Burris Eliminator 3 set it for 110 inches of drop for 750 yds, BC of 67 and load up 109.5 gr of RL 25 behind a Barnes 280 LRX and Win MAG Primer. Skim bed action and recoil lug ,adjust trigger and shoot 1/4 groups at a hundred all day long. Drops Elk at 1000 plus in there tracks with good bullet placement.lightbulb

Sorry but I believe the OP understands what it takes to harvest such a big game at the goal range but he's trying to stay true to his "own" budget. The good thing is that there are choices and plenty of folks willing and able to help him ... but at the end of the day, he has the ultimate choice to make.

Perhaps "cheap or cheaper" was not the choice word to use because there's nothing cheap (quality wise) on the OP's list of components.

JMHHO ... cheers! :cool:

BTW, Rhian - excellent recommendations as always! :)gun)

Cowboyarcher ... custom.338 RUM for $2000 for your consideration >>> http://www.redhawkrifles.com/products/rifles.

Good luck!

Ed

Thanks for the input fellas. Thanks also FEENIX for clarifying my position, I think you captured it well.

MY OP was actually answered fairly early when lists of cartridges that would drive my specified bullets at my specified speeds were provided.

However, I think I confused the OP by mentioning budget concerns somewhat (or made it too broad), but it is nice to know what that the smallest class of cartridges that will get close to my goal are those based on the RUM case.

The rest of this has loosely been based around whether or not the RUM class case was capable of such speeds. It was my fault for mentioning budget concerns.

All that said, this discussion has been very helpful for me, and when I feel confident to step up into this class, I think I know where I'll start rifle wise. Thanks fellas, always great info on this forum! God bless you all!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.