1500 Yard Elk Caliber

am I missing something here? Why does anybody want to kill an elk at 1500 yards, or roughly 4/5ths of a mile. Odds are that you'll simply give the animal a deep wound and leave it for the predators to catch up with.
gary

Savage long action $325 dollars, recoil lug $35, Stockaded P-dog stock and hydro dipping $360, Brux fluted 338 med palma barrel $425, brake $120, EGW HD rail $89, Burris tac rings $90 and a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 $825. Total without labor and scope $1444 .
You can get a prefit barrel for a Savage in 338 RUM and put the barrel on yourself then do all the work yourself. The rifle is a 338 RUM and pushes a 300 OTM at 2800fps.

View attachment 22270
stockade is great to deal with. I have a woodchuck stock for my coyote rifle and love it.

Bigngreen, How do you like the pdog stock?. I'm building one of Rich's 6.5s and trying to figure out which one of Kevins stock I want.

To the OP, be prepared to go over budget. I've got two in process. I have picked up as much used or cheaper items as possible.

first 22-243
action 325, time and true 215, benchmark barrel & chamber 470, tension barrel 250, recoil lug 35, stockwoodchuck used 250. 1545 without scope.
The 6.5 Sherman will be similar in price except I got the blank cheaper, and looking at fluting.
It sounds like you have a starting point and that is all that is needed.

1,500 yd elk caliber?

338 Raptor wildcat by Kirby Allen.

The 338 Raptor has more smack than 338 Allen Express/338 Edge (or Edge +P)/338 Lapua, but not so much as the 338 Allen Mag/338 Excaliber.

Budget considerations for this are another matter altogether.

I didn't read every post, but why not start with a Savage 338 Lapua.

It is a good round....good brass, good bullets, good performance..

Savage makes a good gun. My 12 BVSS 300 WSM shoots as well as I thought it would with a custom barrel! All I have done is bedded it, good glass, good rings and worked up a load. I get .6" groups at 100 yards or better with VLD's!

Then put your custom rifle pennies into a good optic....ie sell your truck, buy a Civic and use the leftover for glass!

You should be GTG.

87predator;813085 Bigngreen said:
I like it, it fits well and gets the job done well for the money, is't good for a ELR rifle in a heavier cal. I really want to build a 6.5 Sherman on the Muledeer stock, I think a guy could make a wail of a carry/long range rifle on that stock

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.