140 Gr Accubonds for STW

Blacktail

Just wondering if any of you guys are loading the 140 AB's for the STW's and if so loads and performance. Yet to pick up my loading equipment. Wife talked me into a pool. But i have a few boxes of the 140s that shoot fairly well. Hoping to gather a bunch of knowledge so when i finally get my equipment. I have 26" Shilen on it with a 1 and 9 twist.
Plan on using it for long range antelope and mulies

A guy that posts here by the handle Krazy has alot of success with his 7STW 26" shilen/remy 700BDL and 140grAB.I believe he used H1000,I will let him know and he'll probably give some feedback.RB

Hey - I have about 1300 rounds of experience through a Winchester M70 Magnum Sporter and an M70 Laredo combined - both 26". Both shoot under an inch with 140s and H4831 or H4831SC and get slightly over 3500 fps. Tried two batches of 100 with H1000 and accuracy was the same as far as I could hold on a day to day basis, but the velocity was about 100 fps lower. H1000 is probably better suited for stuff at 160 grains and up although I find H4831 suited for any bullet weight for any gun .25-06 and up. My load is 81.5 on the H4831 with a Winchester magnum primer. 2.84 trim to length with an overall length of 3.575. Seeya.

Man thanks a bunch. You think the 140 would be good enough on big alberta mulies. Have only shot two and back then was shooting my 300 with 180's obviously did the trick. Just love the STW though.

No problem on the mulies. The Ballistic Tip will handle everything for those mulies too. Strikes them like lightning. I think you'll like the STW better than the 300. Except when showing off with the 30-378's the STW is my deer (and ground hog) rifle.

For looong range you may be better off with a heavier, higher BC bullet to deal with the wind. When I was hunting pronghorns with my 7STW the wind was howling across the plains.

I choose the 162gr A-Max for its high BC, excellent accuracy and impressive terminal performance. With a case as big as the 7STW, I see no reason to use the lighter bullets which are better suited for the 7-08 class cartridges. At least in my opinion.

I actually built my 7STW with the idea of shooting the 140's and had an 11 twist put on the rifle. I have since been converted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Big cases - big bullets :::: Little cases - little bullets.

I have already bought my 160gr Nosler AB's for my 7mm Warp when Speedy gets finished building it. The 160 AB is just about the perfect ticket for long range stuff. Can't wait to try them!

+1 vote for the 160 ab, more retained energy at long range, accuracy in the 9 twist should be good also.
My stw shoots the 160's at 3340 fps with 95 gr of wc872 (really cheap powder) it does ok with 140's but the 160's outclass it.
RR

160 Accubond is the perfect bullet for that gun if it shoots accurately. I shoot 1/2" with 80 grains of Retumbo and 160 AB's.

160 AB's have a high BC for long range work and they perform well at close range too.

I tried 140's in the STW, but the 160 is the way to go.

Good Luck!

The 140 gr AB is a good choice but the 160 gr AB would
be a better choice. I am using this bullet in my 280 AI
and accuracy is in the .2's at 100 yds.

JD338

I to would say that the 160 gr accubod would be the better bullet than the 140 unless your just wanting hyper velocity for short range stuff say inside 400yds then the 140 would probably be an awsome round

JD338
could you shoot me an E-mail , I'd like to ask you a few questions about your 280Ai , thanks

[email protected]

Looks like I am going to be the odd man out here. Needs of hunting in various parts of the world are very different. All I can state is the experiences that my brother and I have had. We have 5 custom 7 STW's between us. We ordered our own reamer from Pacific Precision with minimum spec chambers, .025 freebore (very short leade), .0005 throat dia, .002 over at the web of New Win brass, Neck-.002 over loaded ammo. Some of the guns we have are 26" & 27"Custom Pac Nor barrels, the rest are SS Sendero bbls that were re-chambered when new. We get at least 3600 in ALL of the barrels and one barrel gets much higher. We shoot over max loads of IMR 7828 by what the book calls for, but they are no where near max in our rifles.

Some time ago, before the advent of accubond bullets, we started shooting the 140g Nos/Win Combined Tec bullets. We have killed 30+ deer with this combo here in SC and Huge deer in Kansas also. Our food plots here in SC is 500 yds from our stand, My brother killed 3 bucks out of it last year. One thing that is peculiar about this cartridge and bullet is that not one deer has ever taken a step. One 360 lb buck in Kansas was shot at 460 yds, frontal quartering shot. The bullet entered his right front shoulder and exited out the rib cage on the off side clipping heart and both lungs in the process. Many 200 lb deer have been killed in Kansas, and many does have been shot in the head at 300 yds.

These rifles shoot between 2 1/2-3 1/2" at 550 yards depending on the wind with the 140g Nos/Win.

The reason that we went the 140's was due to trajectory. Most of our shooting here is done between 275-425. Deer may step out in the clearing and you have a split second to acquire target and shoot, and if they run off, you may have to fight off the copper heads to find them.

For some reason, the 140g Nos/Win Combined tec bullet is much harder than a normal ballistic tip, it just works, you don't have to guess about this bullet.

The 120 Barnes tripple shock is doing 3930 fps with less than 1/2" groups out of my Re-chambered 25 1/2" Sendero bbl and the std 120g Ballistic tips shoot just a tiny bit better at three shot groups in the .3's.

Anyone that is wanting more info email me at

keithcandler at msn dot com

Thanks to all for the info..Unfortunately for me the wife talked me into the pool so reloading equipment is going to have to wait a bit. But curious I have been looking at ballistic charts of federal and such. They list the velocity at 3100 for the 160 accubonds out of a 24" gun. I have heard tack on 50 to 100 fps per inch of barrel. Is this true? What should i expect out of a 26" shilen? Unfortunately for the mean time i guess i have to try some factory stuff

what do you all think of the 140 vs 160 accubond out of a 7mag out to 500 yards? does the higher BC of the 160 catch up to the higher MV of the 140? working on loads for my 7mag and have been playing with 120 TSX, 140 accubonds and 139 interlockts. wondering if the 160 AB would be besT?
Casey

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.