120 hammer hunter experience

Elkeater

So I've been playing with 140 absolute hammers in my 7-08ai. I've got one load down around .6 MOA. I'm not super happy with the accuracy. What's interesting is that a mild charge of imr 4166 with a 120 vmax will consistently do .2 MOA. So I'm thinking this rifle might like shorter bullets. It's an 8twist proof.

What I'm looking for is if anyone has any real world velocity for a 120 hammer hunter or 119 absolute hammer in a 7-08 or ai version. The 140 AH is going 2940 and I'm order to outdo that with a 120 out to 600 yards I'd have to be doing 3200 with the 120gr.

So I've been playing with 140 absolute hammers in my 7-08ai. I've got one load down around .6 MOA. I'm not super happy with the accuracy. What's interesting is that a mild charge of imr 4166 with a 120 vmax will consistently do .2 MOA. So I'm thinking this rifle might like shorter bullets. It's an 8twist proof.

What I'm looking for is if anyone has any real world velocity for a 120 hammer hunter or 119 absolute hammer in a 7-08 or ai version. The 140 AH is going 2940 and I'm order to outdo that with a 120 out to 600 yards I'd have to be doing 3200 with the 120gr.
Did you try crimping?

Did you try crimping?
That's a negative ghost rider. Never been one to crimp other than my AR loads. I might try some varget as well at this point. I shot several critters with the absolute hammers last year and really liked the terminal performance so I'm wanting to stick with them.

Try lee factory crimp die, try one eights turn to start add if needed. Really helps with hammers. I'm shooting Varget in my 7-08 120 HHs. almost touching 3200 FPS. Could get more but it shoots bug holes. Absolute hammers come to pressure Very fast. Be careful.

I'm shooting hammer hunters in several other rifles. The AH are the only ones giving me any trouble. And you are right the AH go from fine to not fine very quickly in the pressure realm.

Sounds like maybe trying a crimp is worth a try.

I'm shooting hammer hunters in several other rifles. The AH are the only ones giving me any trouble. And you are right the AH go from fine to not fine very quickly in the pressure realm.

Sounds like maybe trying a crimp is worth a try.
It is another step and another something in the mix I'd prefer not doing, been reloading for 25 years and never thought I'd crimp until recently was having a hard time getting my 7mm STW to shoot Hammer Hunters, out of desperation I tried the LFCD and was pleasantly surprised with the results,.

Liking 120 HH in my temperamental new Fierce 7-08 !

130 HH almost as good. Neck tensioned and crimped Nosler brass , CCI magnum primers. RS BG 49 gr

Try lee factory crimp die, try one eights turn to start add if needed. Really helps with hammers. I'm shooting Varget in my 7-08 120 HHs. almost touching 3200 FPS. Could get more but it shoots bug holes. Absolute hammers come to pressure Very fast. Be careful.
I'm also working up a load with same bullet and powder coming out of a 22" tube. Not quite the fps of yours but I'm backing down to achieve sub .5" moa but still will be over 3000 fps. I'm also testing crimping upon advice of seasoned Hammer shooters. Seating depth has no profound effect.

I'm also working up a load with same bullet and powder coming out of a 22" tube. Not quite the fps of yours but I'm backing down to achieve sub .5" moa but still will be over 3000 fps. I'm also testing crimping upon advice of seasoned Hammer shooters. Seating depth has no profound effect.
Work with powder in the faster burn range to get the best out of hammer hunters. R 15 ,Varget IMR 4064. Etc. You'll get speed and great accuracy in 7-08 class cartridge. I was going to try Acc 2520 but Varget hit a spot I couldn't pass up. Bet it would fill the case up and get speed galore.

Work with powder in the faster burn range to get the best out of hammer hunters. R 15 ,Varget IMR 4064. Etc. You'll get speed and great accuracy in 7-08 class cartridge. I was going to try Acc 2520 but Varget hit a spot I couldn't pass up. Bet it would fill the case up and get speed galore.
Varget working well so far. Have you hit the sweet spot yet? Thanks

This is what worked for me, CA Arms Ridgeline. Laupa Brass, Fed 210 large rifle primers. 45.1 grains of Varget. This load is over max for120 grain bullets, but I had not seen any pressure signs , 3190 FPS. .247 inch three shot and .545 inch five shot groups.

This is what worked for me, CA Arms Ridgeline. Laupa Brass, Fed 210 large rifle primers. 45.1 grains of Varget. This load is over max for120 grain bullets, but I had not seen any pressure signs , 3190 FPS. .247 inch three shot and .545 inch five shot groups.
Impressive. I was at 45gr of Varget with no pressure signs but groups started opening up to moa. Backed it down to 44 and tightened up to .55". Now I will try upping past 45 and see if they improve. Thanks for the helpful info.

I shoot a 120 gr. Hammer Hunter in my 7mm-08, and have taken three elk and a number of deer. They have worked quite well on all the animals, with none traveling more than 20 yards. I've been using Varget and have been getting 5-shot groups right at 1.5". I've recently been shooting IMR-8208 XBR, and I've been impressed with that powder behind the 120 gr. HH. Here is my load data:

Kimber Montana 7mm-08
22" barrel
120 gr. Hammer Hunter
CCI 200 primer
2.76" OAL
1/8 turn FCD

Varget
45.0 gr - 3080 fps, 1.5" 5-shot groups

IMR-8208 XBR
41.0 gr - 2889 fps
42.0 gr - 2975 fps
43.0 gr - 3053 fps
44.0 gr - 3160 fps
45.0 gr - 3196 fps (stiff bolt lift)
I settled on 44.0 gr., and have been getting 1" or better 5-shot groups.