1122 yard coyote

300win

I was watching some deer through the spotting scope thinking about taking a shot at 985 yards when some other hunters spooked the deer. After the other hunters went by a coyote came out behind them and started mousing a nearby hill side. My range finder picked him up twice at 1122 yards. I pulled out my rifle and began to set up. I dialed in elevation for 1125 and gave it 3moa right wind. I set up and dry fired a few times. After getting comfortable I put a loaded round in the chamber and let one fly. I watched the bullet impact the rear quarters of the coyote. He spun around in circles a few seconds and then went down. It is my longest hunting shot to date. I am shooting a trued model 70 pre 64 300 win mag. 26" lilja, 6.5x20 MRK 4 with mil dot, Mc Millan A4, Ferral 20 moa base, MRK 4 rings and a Jewell trigger. The load is Norma brass, 190 bergers, federal GMM magnum primers and a healthy charge of IMR7828 for a muzzle velocity of 3150fps. I also filled a doe tag the next day form 880 yards with a single shot.

Dang that was good shooting !

Now wheres the pix ???? Rifle and yote kill . far as that goes the deer kill too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So cough em up and the powers that be on this board may find it in there hearts to forgo the fine for not having pix with such a post . No guarantees on that , just guessing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BTW , that was the slowest moving , least ground covering coyote I never seen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim B.

win300 ,

Being a coyote shooter from way back -my hat is off to you!

That's gettin-ur-done!Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorry no pictures, never have been much of a picture taker. That is something I will have to work on. It is still a great memory and it is always rewarding to set a personal best.

Jimm

I am starting to believe that the coyote shooters have some mental infirmaties when it comes to cameras. First Roygeterdone can't take a picture of his 1K coyote and now we have 300Win doing the same thing.

It just makes me feel god to know that sombody is still shooting an old war horse like the 300Win mag. I've got a Sako L691 with a 25" Obermeyer barrel that I hope to make my first 1000yd kill on a deer with.
Basicaly the same load as yours.

Congratulations on the great memorable shot.

It only happens once in a while that a yote will allow that much time. You are to be applauded for using it very well.

That 300 has gotta be a keeper......

jimm/bb - some yote hunters don't even pick up the thing. Especially when across canyons, rivers or its way over on the res /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Nice shooting but how bad was the pelt damage? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I always carry a camera when coyote hunting, at least I get some great sunrise/sunset pics is nothing else. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif or its way over on the res

[/ QUOTE ]

Roy , you devil you !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif But not to worry , Jim C/Buffalo Bob can whack it over there !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jim B

Pelt damage was total. The exit wound was over 6", jagged and deep. The doe shot at 880 was hit high in the chest cavity. She shivered for 5 seconds and dropped. The bullet exited and the wound channel was very impressive for that range. I have several more doe tags and will do some more shooting with the 190 bergers. I am also shooting a .308 with the 155 a max at 3000 fps. The results have not been that great, lack of penetration and bullets coming apart. As for shooting the old 300 win, it is hard to walk away from something that has treated me so well. I play around with other calibers but the 300 wm is my go to round.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts