1017 Yard Coyote Video - Greybull Precision

Don Ward

You know those coyotes that have been called before that hang up way out there? This one didn't hang up quite far enough. John bought several lottery tickets later that day...

Tough to see on the little embedded viewer, it can be played in HD/full screen at the 720p setting on Youtube, but won't load as fast.
YouTube - 1017 Yard Coyote Greybull Precision John Burns

Last edited:
WOW, very nice shot at a 'smallish' animal that far out!

Well done sir.

You know those coyotes that have been called before that hang up way out there? This one didn't hang up quite far enough. John bought several lottery tickets later that day...

Tough to see on the little embedded viewer, it can be played in HD/full screen at the 720p setting on Youtube, but won't load as fast.
YouTube - 1017 Yard Coyote Greybull Precision John Burns

Don, that's an amazing shot that John Burns made.

Tell us which rifle, cartridge and scope he was using.

He was using our P105 rifle in 243 Win with 105gr VLD. Optic was our 4.5-14X50mm Leupold, holding 1 MOA wind with our reticle. Our yardage marked turret is etched to just under 1000 in one revolution with this load and a 200 yard zero (1/3 MOA clicks, 20 MOA per revolution). You can see he dials 3 clicks past a full rotation.

Last edited:
That sounds like a great system. And obviously, 14 power is plenty for a smallish coyote even at 1,000 yards.

Outstanding shot John. Why did you wait so long to share it with us? Snow on the ground,it is obvious this happened late winter or early spring of this year.
Can't wait for my 243AI to get done.

902 yards is my best on a dog. 243 super short mag with 58gr. V-Max's. Leupold 4.5x14 with a premeir reticle and a Kenton turret.

There is nothing that gives me the giggles like watching a coyote get wacked and stack like that! Smoked him big timegun)

RH300UM

The shot was last winter. We have a whole bunch of good video on the shelves but the core of the business has kept us all very busy this year and we are just getting some time cut loose to work on video and other projects before the season is in full swing. We are also saving some shots for upcoming DVD releases.

That is an inspirational show of marksmanship from John I have watched him take and make some amazing shots that will make a long range believer out of anyone.

Thanks for sharing I really enjoyed that.

Great to see Mr. Burn's making videos again! Hope you'll be giving us a heads up when your dvd is ready.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.