1122 yard coyote

Thats awesome. Great shooting. Sounds like the Bergers are working great for you, I knew they would. I always try to carry a camera with me. You never know whats going to happen. I'd do anything to get a pic of a coyote over 1K. Hell, I go over canyons, rivers, and anything else just to get my coyote pics. I dont care, a picture will last forever.

Dang!!! I thought I was doing somthing at 1005yrd (mine was close)Nice shot 300win and buffalo When I get a minute or two this weekend I will try to post a picture of the 1005yrder The 168gr berger just left a little hole on the exit.once again nice shooting! we was hunting elk over the weekend (610 yrd cow shoulder shot)brother shot at a 1240 yrd dog and just barely missed (I was relieved I would like to enjoy my record shot a little longer)

Steve,
Great story and awesome shooting!1,122 yds. WOW!!
How is the 7MMSTW shootin'?

Well, it doesn't look like I'm going to get any long range shots this year.I have filled all four of my tags plus a coyote, ranging from 150 - 250 yds. but I will say all were one shot kills. One heart and three lung. I can't wait to get the .338 - .300 ultra improved, 37 degree up and running.... and a good range finder,but all in good time.
Again congrats on your long range kills,
308nate

Nice going, I alway figured you'd only get one shot at a coyote because they spook so easily. I have to ask, why dry fire???

robbor,
It calms the nerves /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
For me it gets my mind back on shooting and off the target, it's kind of a reset from the adrenaline rush and of course it's not something you do in a split second shot.

just my experiance,
308nate

[ QUOTE ]
It just makes me feel god to know that sombody is still shooting an old war horse like the 300Win mag. I've got a Sako L691 with a 25" Obermeyer barrel that I hope to make my first 1000yd kill on a deer with.
Basicaly the same load as yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

JD, I was thinking the same thing. I have two rifle chambered for the venerable 300. My Sako AIII and my premier hunting rig, which is the Winchester Model 70 Laredo LRH. My longest kill with it was a mule deer at 638 yards. Tried 1098 yards on a bobcat once but manage only to scared the bedevil out of him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif A great fun though for my buddy who spotted for me. I missed the fun part since I was the one doing the shooting and did not see the bullet impact due to recoil. According to my buddy, the bullet landed about five inches from the bobcat's rearend. The mirage got me on that one. It was in the middle of a hot summer day as I recalled and I was still learning how to read conditions. Looking at 14X magnification, the bobcat seems to float on air. I aimed at the cat's nose and the 190 grain Hornady landed on the it's tailend. My buddy told me that the cat dropped the squirrel from his mouth and took-off running. To this day, my buddy still considered it my best shot ever on a game, and he had witnessed quite a few from me, even though it was a missed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Robber, the reason for dry firing a few times is to make sure you are as comfortable as you feel. It is something I learned shooting f class last year. If you have the time it is worth the extra few seconds it takes. 308nate, I have been wanting to give you a call but hunting season seems to get in the way of everything. I have not shot a deer with that stw yet but I have a few tags left. I did shoot a coyote at about 200 yards while walking some weed lines. All I can say is when a 120 ballistic tip hits a coyote at 3850 fps you just pick up the biggest piece and drag it back to the pickup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.