105 gr Berger Hybrid and .243 Twist

Ghost7

Berger recommends a 7 twist for stabilizing the 105 hybrid. I've read some threads that guys are saying their 8 twists stabilize them fine. I'm in the process of ordering a Bartlein barrel and want to make sure I don't short side myself with under twisting this barrel. Anyone have any solid experience with this? I don't plan on shooting the 115's so if 7.5 or 8 would do it, that is the route I would take. Appreciate any info.

I shoot the 105 Hybrid in a 6BR with a 28" 1-8" twist barrel at 2935 fps, will put 5 in a 5" group at 1000 yds so I don't think you need a 1-7" twist.
I am shooting an altitude of 2300 ft and it's never really cold here in the desert.
Depending on altitude and temperature a 1-7.5" twist might not be a bad choice.
JMHO

Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets

Check Out this tool first before you order.......

What is your intention for that bullet? Just paper targets or something more dynamic like prs style competitions?

If you play with that calculator you'll see that as temps drop with a 7.5 twist your stability (SG) also drops and compromises the BC. So if you are planning to use a ballistic calculator you may be on the marginal side of stable and not have a consistent BC throughout different temps and hence solutions not as precise as they could be.
Combine this with velocities differences at varying temps and you may find yourself chasing your tail a bit....

As stated previously accuracy is still good with 7.5 twists and you may never even notice this if your just planning to punch paper.

Maybe it doesn't get cold where you are but I thought I'd point it out for you.

Within reason your not going to "over spin" your bullet.

.284, my intention is to get into some local PRS matches. I have a long way to go with my ability but think a little competition would be fun. When I first started reloading and shooting I thought getting out to a 1000 yds would just be a personal goal but since then have been bitten by the bug. I'm thinking going that route the 7.5 twist should be enough. At this point I can't imagine shooting when it is cooler than 40 as I don't even practice that now. It does get cold here but unless I'm hunting I typically don't shoot below 40. I noticed on the precision shooting blog that the 105 hybrid is a very efficient bullet when pushed to the proper velocities and that is the reason for my search for the proper barrel twist to accommodate. Bartlein will be my barrel of choice and they don't offer anything below 7.5 twist, that I'm aware of. With many shooters on the prs shooting this barrel bullet combo, I don't think I can go wrong. Granted I will be shooting a .243 win and there aren't but a couple guys shooting that but I really think that the .243 can shoot with any of the 6mms. Each has a upside and a downside but the .243 will be a good place to start for me. Very capable round.

I have a 243 also that I shoot the 105 Hybrid in and it's going over a 100 fps faster than my 6BR, the 243 wears a Kreiger 1-7.5" barrel and also has no problems at 1000yds.

What kind of velocity and accuracy are you getting? What powder, charge, etc.?

Don't have the speed number with me right now but it was 3100+ and I'm loading 47 grs of H1000.
I haven't found the "magic" load yet, this is just the load I've been playing with and have shot a 4.625" 5 shot group at 1K but most of the time it's been .75-1 moa.

Waambo, that is pretty good in my book. I haven't tried H1000 yet. Is that a compressed load? I've been using Imr4350 and H4350 and haven't found any accuracy over 2873 fps. I'm thinking I need to find accuracy at at least 3000 fps to be effective.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.