$1000 budget rangefinder

CoastalHunter

So it's time to buy a rangefinder. Hunt/shoot out west. Over the last year have stretched my shooting to the 1000-1500 range. Right now am using a simple rangefinder and ballistic app. Works, but just ready for a more on stop solution. Buddies have sigs, gunwerks, bushnell, etc..... all work, but all have give and take. Curious what the consensus is if a guy had around $1000 to spend what would you recommend. I know certain brands will be used at that price point, but that doesn't scare me. Also have heard the sig is great for people with lots of profiles. I only have a few guns that will be loaded so capacity isn't an issue...... for now! Thanks for the help!

I am a big fan of the leica rangemasters. In my experience they are very accurate. I pair one with a kestrel with AB ballistics. I have full confidence out to 1000 no problem. Sounds like you want a combo but thats what works for me. Just buy more then your going to use, don't buy a rangefinder that claims it's good to 1000 and expect great results at that distance.

+1 for the Leica Rangemaster.
I recently switched over to a 2800.com
Very Nice unit. Excellent glass.
I'll pick up a Kestral 5700X to pair with next.
When paired the solution is displayed in the rangefinder.
(If you get either of these used.. be sure to load the most recent firmware for both.)

Last edited:
Get yourself a Leica 2400 and put the other $450 towards a kestrel 5700 Elite. Only thing you'll have to do is build the gun profiles on your phone and push it over to the kestrel. I think you can have 30 profiles or something like that.

This may be of interest to you.
catorres1 has done several reviews of various range finders on this forum and are well worth reading IMO.

So it's time to buy a rangefinder. Hunt/shoot out west. Over the last year have stretched my shooting to the 1000-1500 range. Right now am using a simple rangefinder and ballistic app. Works, but just ready for a more on stop solution. Buddies have sigs, gunwerks, bushnell, etc..... all work, but all have give and take. Curious what the consensus is if a guy had around $1000 to spend what would you recommend. I know certain brands will be used at that price point, but that doesn't scare me. Also have heard the sig is great for people with lots of profiles. I only have a few guns that will be loaded so capacity isn't an issue...... for now! Thanks for the help!
I am a big fan of the leica rangemasters. In my experience they are very accurate. I pair one with a kestrel with AB ballistics. I have full confidence out to 1000 no problem. Sounds like you want a combo but thats what works for me. Just buy more then your going to use, don't buy a rangefinder that claims it's good to 1000 and expect great results at that distance.
I use leica 1600 for a few years now and works perfect

I have the G7 first gen and it's been great !
It gives you dope out to 1400 yrds . I have ranged targets at 2053 yrds and put that in my Shooter app to get adj. Bang on steel .
The next challenge was 3027 yrds . None of us had anything to reach that far . GPS, and the Onx map system was used several times to get distance correctly. Then got several hits on steel . I'm going to sell the G7 and look for something with longer ranging ability.
Good luck in your search . Let us know what you end up with .

Rum Man

I bought the Sig2400ABS for $1000 a couple years ago. Lotta bang for the buck. Use in conjunction with Kestrel 5700AB Elite. Unless they have updated the KILO2400, it only allows 4 profiles at a time....and they are cryptically notated as "1,2.3. or 4" o nly. Also, just received a Sig Kilo3000BDX 10x42 binoculars with range finder for $877.99 shipped. Believe the 3000 offers 30 profiles with more descriptive profile naming. Another, high bang to buck multi-role kit that is highly reviewed offering. The 3000BDX communicates with Kestrel 5700AB Elite, as does the KILO2400, and also, the Sig Sierra3, and the promised soon Sierra6 rifle scopes. The 3000BDX has the AB Light which limits ballistic solutions to 800yds, but with the Kestrel 5700AB you get unlimited range solution feeding back through the 3000BDX to the Siera scopes. Spend a little more get a lot more today in electronics. Sig is really penetrating the elecro-optics market. I've bought several Tango6 scopes with great results.

Used, you might find a Vectronix Terrapin X around $1000. It will range better than most commercial RFs mentioned in other posts and talk to the Kestrel for accurate ballistic solutions. Reference Nick Vitalbo's (with NVisti) comparisons of RFs in Brian Litz's Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting Vol. I CH 16 p 255 and Vol II performance charts Appendix C p.287. Becoming dated with the years, KILO3000BDX not included, Terrapin only...not Terrpin X. but great perspective info.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts