1 Rifle to rule them all

In this scenario, it's truly "Beware the man with 1 gun...". That's why I ask all of you, which gun are you grabbing for if you could only take 1.

I chose to reach for the 1 I shoot the best, that also happens to be a very popular caliber and finding ammunition wouldn't be as tough.

There is no 1 best weapon, regardless of circumstances. The best weapon of course is the one you have with you (and have ammo for and a system to carry that ammo)....

I am with Flip, that I will no longer partake of the vanilla AR-15 clan. I personally replaced my AR with 2 SKS rifles and could have gone with 3. I have plenty of ammo for it, none of which I reload (although I do have supplies) and being a gas piston type design, it will tolerate adverse conditions better than many an AR when one does not have the time, means or supplies to keep an AR clean and lubed. And I will have at least 1 other person, 2 more for the same money spent as for an AR sending lead at whoever the bad guy is. One man armies do not last long.

If the range is extended, then I have several accurate bolt guns and ammo for them and one would not need nearly as much ammo as with a case spewing autoloader. Elk may need several hits but for most men, 1 hit is all it needs from a hunting rifle. These would not include a 223 unless the carrier was <12 years old.

If the situation is really so bad that I am personally down to one weapon, I would be avoiding direct confrontation and using stealth as much as possible and trying to hang on to the most accurate weapon I have with the best sighting system. I have been abandoned behind enemy lines in my past (until it was noticed that I was missing) and you sure do not want to stick out or attract any attention whatsoever...

I would choose the one that I know how to handle, Have the most trigger time and with that comes the large amount of ammo.. Sako TRG 42 338 LM

I'll play :rolleyes:

223 bolt gun with spare DBM's and lots of ammo - specifically 70 gr VLD's. If there's one thing you want to do in a crisis situation,it's to conserve ammo. Spraying isn't going to get you anywhere but out of ammo in a hurry. If a bad guy exposes his head anywhere inside 500 yds, he's mine.

In times of civil strife or disobedience that TRG is about as useful as a flat tire. By the time you racked a shell ito it and lined up, you'd have 20 rounds from a gas gun permeating your forehead. Dang hard to see in a scope when your brains are running in your eyes.....:)

A little known fact, but true is AR platforms are touchy about being clean, About 60 rounds of questionablt orign ammunition and things start to get dicey.

Conversely, my Mini or an AK or an SKS cares less about cleaning the action. In fact, other than an ocassional douche with brake cleaner, you never have to clean the action and the barrel is a qucik trip- with a boresnake.

I look at an AR platform is sort of an extension of the male sex organ or to make up for the lack of one of substance.......:D

Reality is, there is really no need for that 'go to firearm in 99% of the population, pro firearm or not.

When the end comes, if it comes, you won't know it until it bites you in the *** anyway.

Better to support oragnizations like the NRA, write your Senator and Congressman and don't vote in any candidate that don't support the Second Amendment.

As was stated previously, one man armies don't last very long and always keep in mind that if you shoot at someone, chances are, they will shoot back.

Sidecarflip...a one man army is better than a no man army. I'll go down swinging! Yes, and AK would be the perfect zombie slayer (the only way civil unrest would occur). Lol

In times of civil strife or disobedience that TRG is about as useful as a flat tire. By the time you racked a shell ito it and lined up, you'd have 20 rounds from a gas gun permeating your forehead.
What if he plans on having gas guns backing him?

As was stated previously, one man armies don't last very long and always keep in mind that if you shoot at someone, chances are, they will shoot back.
Obviously; which is why I've planned on having like minded people with me. At least one member of the group will be equipped with a long range scoped rifle.

Flip, if the gas gunners are at 600+ yards, it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will get hit. "Herded", yes. 55gr pills out a 16" barrel only goes so far.... Even the lightest armor will defeat 55gr FMJ. Most gas gunners do not have ANY experience shooting that kind of range and the ballistics of the bullet are not in their favor.

I'll play on this. If I only had one rifle and didn't have time to grab anything but a couple of boxes of ammo and head to the hills I'd grab my 375h@h. She's plenty accurate, light enough to carry all day (8# scoped and loaded) and anything I tag with it is going down first shot.
An ar is great, but you really don't have much horsepower. My stw would be a hell of a long range engagement rifle, but the overbore calibers need cleaning every couple of boxes to maintain performance. The cleaning needs rule out most of my rifles save for my 375h@h, 405win, and 338win as a survival round. For eats only (no hostile needs) a 10-22 or tc hot shot 22lr would be about perfect. I can shoot a rabbit sized critter in the head with my 375, so it'll feed me just fine too though.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.