#1 best tip for new shooters trying to get into the long range game!

Then you need to work on distance. Do you have a level on your scope? Are the crosshairs dead level? If so its time to streach it out. What do you have to calculate drop and wind?

You will find the wind is the issue. Not only is it constantly changing, it wont be the same at your target as it is where you are at...most likely. If it was an app would figure wind as well as it does drop. The futher away the more pronounced it is. You will learn to read it with practice. Im decent at it at home on flat ground., in the mountains, im terrible. It blows every which way there. The guys that can shoot well there are like gods to me. Credit where due. Try shootinf far when it is dead calm for a confidence builder.

I have a kestrel with AB, Leica 2200 hd-b binos, shooter, and Hornady 4dof. Just now learning all the inputs etc.
I downloaded the hornady app for fun the other day. I thought why not, they ought to know the drops on an eldx. It was spot on. After you do the input on all three they will be close to agreeing. The hornady app is most likely the least confusing. Try this. Set it up and go shoot a group at 600. Set your scope off the app. If not centered vertically see how many clicks to 0. Ignore horizontal. Then play with the muzzle velocity on the app until it gets the right answer. Then 900. Should be pretty close. Do it again. You will still be ok at 6. Your app is right now, start playing with the wind. Use your wind meter and shoot where the app says. Most likely off, but the app is right. Wind changes along bulley path. You can llook at grass, weeds etc along the way. Not easy to explain but you will get the hang of it with practice.

There are a few that for me are important to being capable to cleanly take game at range, getting of the range and shooting my hunting area, cold bore and a follow up if needed then mapping the area as you learn through the years, air and game movement, best locations for the strongest shot position.
Start shooting with all my gear, it's a system you gotta use it all, your rangefinder, wind meter, ballistics, rear rest all are part of the system so don't just flop on a bench and send rounds, go through your shot process.
Spend a lot of time on glass just watching animals move through an area, there are always spots on trails they will pause, if you know theses spots you can be dry firing on animals as they move then when the one you want to take pauses in the same place you make a minor adjustment and send it. A lot of guys get freaked out by the thought of an animal moving, if you know how they move and you've observed them enough it's not hard to all but eliminate that issue.
Every day hunting I find a spot and send one round to keep things tuned and checked, by hunting season you should be shooting like your hunting not group shooting too!!

That should get you started, but find a coach, and go to a school or two. Mentioned by someone earlier. I never understood the value of a good coach until i got frustrated shooting competitive skeet. Had been stuck in a class for years. Found a good coach and went to AAA in two seasons. Good coaching is expensive, but it will save you thousands of dollars. I promise good coaches are worth 10x what they charge.

There are a few that for me are important to being capable to cleanly take game at range, getting of the range and shooting my hunting area, cold bore and a follow up if needed then mapping the area as you learn through the years, air and game movement, best locations for the strongest shot position.
Start shooting with all my gear, it's a system you gotta use it all, your rangefinder, wind meter, ballistics, rear rest all are part of the system so don't just flop on a bench and send rounds, go through your shot process.
Spend a lot of time on glass just watching animals move through an area, there are always spots on trails they will pause, if you know theses spots you can be dry firing on animals as they move then when the one you want to take pauses in the same place you make a minor adjustment and send it. A lot of guys get freaked out by the thought of an animal moving, if you know how they move and you've observed them enough it's not hard to all but eliminate that issue.
Every day hunting I find a spot and send one round to keep things tuned and checked, by hunting season you should be shooting like your hunting not group shooting too!!
We have a target on a levee between camp and our hunting area. Have to turn at the target and head to camp. I like to stop somewhere along the way and set up and take a cold bore shot. Eases the frustration on days i dont need a knife

Bigngreen mentioned sonething that was the most important thing i learned from coaches. Develop a routine, and follow it exactly with every shot. It gets so ingrained that you dont even think about it and i failed to mention it. Doesnt matter rifle, handgun, bow, whatever. Every shot is the same. I could have never learned this on my own, well at least i didnt in 55 years of shooting. Never say never. Maybe im just a slow learner.

BTW, this is spot on and excellent advise everyone should listen to +++ Good post buddy.

Agree with everything else others have said.
On wind, terrain compounds difficulty, but even on flat ground, strong wind in the 5-7 and 10-1 clock positions are compounded because reading the wind angle becomes just as important as gauging it's magnitude in whether you adjust left, right, up or down

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.