• 22-250 AI

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • 22 creedmoor

Votes: 30 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.7%

• Total voters

Thebear_78

I stumbled across a rifle too interesting to pass at a gun show today. It was a Remington 700 in a McMillan game scout with ptg AICS magwell. It had been trued, tactical bolt handle and barreled by long rifles inc. It has a 26" 1-7 Schneider barrel chambered in 223 match. I couldn't pass it up.

As I looked at it I saw great potential for a fast twist 22-250. It seems to me the AICS magwell could be better filled with the bigger case. The 22-250 AI seemed like a no brainer.

I've seen a few things on the 22 creedmoor. It might be a more straight forward way to go. No fireforming and similar performance.

What are you guys running in fast twist 224. Planning on mostly shooting 75-90gr bullets.

Attachments

• DF2560B8-7D42-4147-99FF-D883F885F5EA.jpeg
    DF2560B8-7D42-4147-99FF-D883F885F5EA.jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 795
That is a nice looking rifle. I would go 22-250 ai, as I have had one for a while. That way you can still shoot factory 22-250 ammo if you need too.

I also voted for the AI as I have been shooting one for many years.
Forming brass is no big hassle, I just use COW and Universal and go shoot them. I get brass that is 99% formed and fine to load and shoot.

Cheers.
;)

Of the two I'd go with the -250 AI. I however went a different route since I have a 221 fire ball, 223, and a 22-250. I stepped into a 22-6mm aka 224 Clark aka 224 TTH.

If I were you I would take a look at 22-243 or a 22-243 AI. Both are very good cartridges and can push the high BC bullets very well. Excellent long range varmint cartridges. All are good choices.

I liked the simplicity of necking down and shooting...

But I also love to utilize Lapua brass whenever possible, I tend to lean on my loads a bit and strong primer pockets are a plus.

My intent is a calling gun, so it won`t be run hot and the .22-243AI in either 30 or 40 * should be a hammer with the Barnes lead free 70 gr. bullets......as required behind the iron curtain.

I am currently running a 22 BR in a Remington 700 action with a 26" 1:7" Shilen. It shoots the 80 Berger VLD at 3020 fps mv. The gun shoots 1 hole groups all day long and is a blast to shoot. It is not a 'barn burner' round by any means, but shoots really well and is very enjoyable to shoot. I have a load for some 55 grain Berger hollow points for a light weight explosive round that shoot lights out as well for days on the prairie dog towns. I think either way you are thinking would be a great choice. I think you could even run a straight .22-250 and get a great long range varminter. I put my Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 on the BR and have shot it out to 965 yards on milk jugs. Pretty crazy to me to think of shooting that kind of distance with a 22 cal. Tons of fun to be able to do it though.

The Creedmoor is probably the better choice, but for sentimental reasons the .224 Clark is where I would go.
i grew up shooting a 224 Clark , my uncle had it built, Kenneth Clark was in the town (Madera) I grew up in in California. great shootin rifle

We used to drive past his shop on the way to my grandparents, they lived in Kerman! Kind of a landmark for me. From a non shooting family I only went in once, an uncle finally took me. A very positive experience. He gave me copies of magazine articles, I wish I could find, but lost in the shuffle somewhere. It always amuses me when folks think heavy .224's are a modern phenomenon. Logistics probably favor the Creed from here on out, the TTH is so close they should be embarrassed to call it different. Good times!

Without any bolt work you will have to go with a case head diameter of .384. the 223 AI comes to mind. The 223 AI doesn't give you that much of an advantage except it will shoot the heavy .224 bullets as fast as the standard 223 with the standard bullet weights.

If you want faster then you have to have the bolt face opened to .470 then you have lots of choices.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/bolt-face-diameters.36661/

I personally like the 22/250 AI or the Texas trophy Hunter (6mm / 223) if the bolt has the .470 bolt face diameter. Not sure what the difference is between the TTH and the Clark is.

My 223 AI has the shoulder pushed forward .030 thousandths and a 40o shoulder. This gives it enough case capacity to increase velocity more than 200 ft/sec over the standard 223. the standard 223 AI has 10% more case capacity than the .223 remington. mine has a little more. Using the 40 grain bullets I can reach 4000 ft/sec with it and with 65 to 69 grain bullets 3700 to 3800 is possible without excessive pressure.

Not pushing the 223 AI, but it will perform with larger cartridges with less powder and without changing anything on your rifle if that is the way you choose to go.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.