1-10 twist on factory .270 win. Why?

Oldschool280

hello again friends, the time had come to purchase a permanent rig for my youngest. (Will be 12) . In the end i went with a 260 rem, in a 700 sps. I looked hard at the .270 this time. (I went 7-08 for his older brother) . I was never on the .270 bandwagon but wanted him to be able to buy factory ammo easily when i no longer handload for him. I just couldn't buy a c-word. I also wanted something that he could enjoy handloading for if he wanted, and not have a "honda civic" of cartridges. Why on earth, in this day and age of long range shooting and hunting is it not possible to find a factory .270 with a twist rate faster than 1-10? I think a .270win with some 162 ish + eld-x's , vld' ect would be just as practical as anything used at extended ranges these days. What am i missing. The cartridge companies are basically going out of their way to duplicate cartridges that have been around for a century , why not give the .270 a shot in the arm? For the record i am the curmudgeon cranky type and don't like anything in fashion. Thought's?

Look for a shot out, stainless 25-06 barrel off a 700. Send it to Dan Pedersen and have it rebored to .277 with a 1 in 9" twist. Fit, re-chamber, shoot.

hello again friends, the time had come to purchase a permanent rig for my youngest. (Will be 12) . In the end i went with a 260 rem, in a 700 sps. I looked hard at the .270 this time. (I went 7-08 for his older brother) . I was never on the .270 bandwagon but wanted him to be able to buy factory ammo easily when i no longer handload for him. I just couldn't buy a c-word. I also wanted something that he could enjoy handloading for if he wanted, and not have a "honda civic" of cartridges. Why on earth, in this day and age of long range shooting and hunting is it not possible to find a factory .270 with a twist rate faster than 1-10? I think a .270win with some 162 ish + eld-x's , vld' ect would be just as practical as anything used at extended ranges these days. What am i missing. The cartridge companies are basically going out of their way to duplicate cartridges that have been around for a century , why not give the .270 a shot in the arm? For the record i am the curmudgeon cranky type and don't like anything in fashion. Thought's?

Because then there would be no need for a 7mm :).

Good call on the 260 rem BTW!

The 145 ELDX sure works in the 1/10. The problem I have seen with 260 is limited factory ammo that can be hard to find but a good round otherwise.
Since you are a curmudgeon and cranky I won't tell you you should have got the 6.5 PRC.

The 145 ELDX sure works in the 1/10. The problem I have seen with 260 is limited factory ammo that can be hard to find but a good round otherwise.
Since you are a curmudgeon and cranky I won't tell you you should have got the 6.5 PRC.
Or a 6.5 Sherman Short since he will be reloading
Actually, there are a couple places even loading ammo now

Time will tell if enough demand drives a need for a faster twist .270 Win barrel. As pointed out, the 6.5s (.260) and 7mm bracket the .270 so tightly - and they are already twisted for long, high BC bullets - there doesn't seem to be a 'need' or 'demand' for anyone to change the .270 specs at this time.

Still a great cartridge for North American hunting though. But the .260 Rem is an excellent choice for a young shooter, so you did well.

You don't want to hear this. But you let your cranky ways negatively influence your decision. The 6.5 CM, and now possibly the 6.5 PRC, WAS the choice you should have made, based on the criteria you set forth. Anyone who shoots them doesn't worry one bit about the uninformed naysayers who think they sound intelligent when they bash the Creedmoor. They just go out and enjoy hunting and long range shooting and snicker at the cranky old guys that refuse to accept progress. Insinuating that the 6.5CM is just a clone or regurgitation of another older cartridge (I assume you mean the .260 Rem) shows a serious lack of research or understanding of cartridge design or implementation.

First of all, the 6.5CM is not some magic cartridge. And few of us owners/ shooters ever say it is. But it's wannabe detractors usually undermine their arguments in their own posts. "My 260 Rem is ballistically superior. I just wish I could buy factory ammo." "I like my 270 better. I just wish they made better 270 bullets." "If the twist rate on my 243 was faster, I could shoot heavy bullets as well as the 6.5's." And so on. BUT THEY DON'T or IT ISN'T.

The 6.5CM occupies a "sweet spot" in two inversely proportionate metrics, power vs recoil. It's not the only cartridge in that sweet spot. But it is in there. But most important to it's success is THERE AREN'T ANY "BUTS" with the 6.5 CM. It came out of the gate with great support and was "done right." They DO build high quality rifles in 6.5 CM. You CAN buy high quality factory ammo with cutting edge bullets. You CAN buy Lapua brass for reloading. ALL the rifles offered have fast twist barrels made for heavy bullets. It WAS designed to operate properly in a short action. And the list goes on. It doesn't have any glaring weaknesses or omissions. THATS the reason for its success.

I could randomly pick ANY rifle made in 6.5 CM, including some $300 or less, scope it, buy a couple boxes of factory ammo at a local store (in stock), and go shoot fairly accurately to probably 1000 yards, all in the first day. What other cartridge can you honestly say that about?
THAT'S why it's so popular. Because it IS better in many ways than what was out there before it. The open-minded people experienced it and then adopted the progress.

If you think all these manufacturers and top shooters/ hunters just suddenly last their mind and built/ bought 6.5 CM rifles as part of some massive marketing scam. And that the top PRS shooters and hunters suddenly lost their minds, read a bit of Hornady fluff and blindly chose 6.5CM so they could be part of some "cool kids" club, then there's no way any amount of evidence or reason is going to change your mind. But for those of us who look at things objectively and are open to progress, we have seen the light. Nothing wrong with a 260 Rem, except for the serious lack of factory ammo and the difficulty in seating long bullets in a short action without eating up lots of case capacity. But since using factory ammo was one of your criteria, there were better choices.

I just got a Tikka in 270Win LH for my wife. The left handedness restricts a lot of platform choices for her, but Tikkas are quite nice, lightweight, and generally accurate out of the box. Why do I mention Tikka? Because they use the same receiver for long action (<2.6") and short action (<2.1") cartridges, which means that there is no weight savings between a 260, 6.5CM, 270 or 7-08. A person might as well choose a 2.5" cartridge.
Yes, the 1 in 10" twist restricts the use of the Hammer Hunter .277" bullets in 156 or 168 grains, and if we were to rebarrel the rifle we might choose a 1in7" twist for that 168grain HH. But in the meantime, my wife doesn't like to shoot over 300 yards at an animal. Bullets like the TTSX 110grain and LRX 129grain provide excellent accuracy and range. The 270 does what it is supposed to do and hits with a little more energy than the short cartridges just mentioned. So it remains a great deer cartridge, even in 1in10" twist.

I'm in a similar dilemma as the OP….. looking to re-barrel my son's shot out 25-06 with a better LR option. He does not reload and I won't be (able) to do it forever so factory ammo is an important issue. Also, we are in California so non-lead loads is part of the equation when we are not hunting out of state. Looking for ideas, I've had to take the many members comments re: problems for standard 270 Win twist here in context because we cannot use the leaded heavy LR option bullets here in CA. My personal Win M70 in 270 shoots sub-MOA with factory Barnes 129 (?) LRX comparably with 6.5 PRC in similar weight. Of course the PRC can shoot heavier bullets but the LRX load is good beyond 600 yds for lighter game so it is viable and has many other factory load options as well. So, for the folks in non-lead zones, the 270 may continue to be a viable option. As an aside, I did contacted a major maker re: will you offer at least a 9 twist 270 anytime soon? Answer: We are not even thinking about it.

I for one think you made a great choice. You probably hunting white tail? 125 gr is all you need for that. As far as finding factory loads, I have never had a problem. As far as reloading, you should be now teaching him how to reload.

I own a 270win, and have used it out to 500yds w/o issues. I think the bullets available today,( 130,140 & 150 gr.),could get one out even further, but I have no need to shoot past 500 yards. Although there are plenty of videos using the 270win or WSM that show DRT proof out to 1000yards of the capabilities of a 1 in 10 twist barrel.

Was there a particular reason why you didn't go with the 7-08, like you did for his older brother ? You're already tooled-up ( and schooled-up ) for that round.

It would be nice if the 270 could get the face-lift we'd like to see. The 7mm's ( which have been over-shadowing that fine cartridge for the last several decades ) seem to be going strong in the face of the rise in popularity of the 6.5's - new bullets, fast-twist barrels, etc. It's also holding its own relative to the 30-calibers.

I think there may be some hope for the 270 to catch a break ( I sure hope that it does ) and the 257's seem to be on the verge of that as well. Both bullet diameters seem to have their following, but they are kinda "caught in the middle" - the 270 is sandwiched in there between the 6.5's and the 7mm's, and the 257 is between the 6mm's & the 6.5's. Tough spots to be stuck in, with no Jack O'Connor around to hype them up. Maybe if we shooters make enough noise …..…...

You don't want to hear this. But you let your cranky ways negatively influence your decision. The 6.5 CM, and now possibly the 6.5 PRC, WAS the choice you should have made, based on the criteria you set forth. Anyone who shoots them doesn't worry one bit about the uninformed naysayers who think they sound intelligent when they bash the Creedmoor. They just go out and enjoy hunting and long range shooting and snicker at the cranky old guys that refuse to accept progress. Insinuating that the 6.5CM is just a clone or regurgitation of another older cartridge (I assume you mean the .260 Rem) shows a serious lack of research or understanding of cartridge design or implementation.

First of all, the 6.5CM is not some magic cartridge. And few of us owners/ shooters ever say it is. But it's wannabe detractors usually undermine their arguments in their own posts. "My 260 Rem is ballistically superior. I just wish I could buy factory ammo." "I like my 270 better. I just wish they made better 270 bullets." "If the twist rate on my 243 was faster, I could shoot heavy bullets as well as the 6.5's." And so on. BUT THEY DON'T or IT ISN'T.

The 6.5CM occupies a "sweet spot" in two inversely proportionate metrics, power vs recoil. It's not the only cartridge in that sweet spot. But it is in there. But most important to it's success is THERE AREN'T ANY "BUTS" with the 6.5 CM. It came out of the gate with great support and was "done right." They DO build high quality rifles in 6.5 CM. You CAN buy high quality factory ammo with cutting edge bullets. You CAN buy Lapua brass for reloading. ALL the rifles offered have fast twist barrels made for heavy bullets. It WAS designed to operate properly in a short action. And the list goes on. It doesn't have any glaring weaknesses or omissions. THATS the reason for its success.

I could randomly pick ANY rifle made in 6.5 CM, including some $300 or less, scope it, buy a couple boxes of factory ammo at a local store (in stock), and go shoot fairly accurately to probably 1000 yards, all in the first day. What other cartridge can you honestly say that about?
THAT'S why it's so popular. Because it IS better in many ways than what was out there before it. The open-minded people experienced it and then adopted the progress.

If you think all these manufacturers and top shooters/ hunters just suddenly last their mind and built/ bought 6.5 CM rifles as part of some massive marketing scam. And that the top PRS shooters and hunters suddenly lost their minds, read a bit of Hornady fluff and blindly chose 6.5CM so they could be part of some "cool kids" club, then there's no way any amount of evidence or reason is going to change your mind. But for those of us who look at things objectively and are open to progress, we have seen the light. Nothing wrong with a 260 Rem, except for the serious lack of factory ammo and the difficulty in seating long bullets in a short action without eating up lots of case capacity. But since using factory ammo was one of your criteria, there were better choices.
Thank you! I shoot BIG BOY Magnums, but I appreciate the 6, 25 & 6.5 C-word.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.