.270 Win, 1-10 twist, shoot bullets meant for 1-7, 1-8 twist?

Handymike

I'm slowly getting back into shooting and have a vintage Remington Model 721, chambered for standard ammo. I have read on this forum about other .270s that require a 1-7, 1-8 twist to shoot some of the heavier bullets being offered currently.
My question to all is
What is end result of shooting 160-175 grn. bullets in my rifle? Range max 500 yards.
Rifle damage
Shooter damage
Won't chamber
Bad accuracy
Other
thanks for the input
Mike

I'm slowly getting back into shooting and have a vintage Remington Model 721, chambered for standard ammo. I have read on this forum about other .270s that require a 1-7, 1-8 twist to shoot some of the heavier bullets being offered currently.
My question to all is
What is end result of shooting 160-175 grn. bullets in my rifle? Range max 500 yards.
Rifle damage
Shooter damage
Won't chamber
Bad accuracy
Other
thanks for the input
Mike
Mike,

If you can find them, you should be able to stabilize a 160 Nosler Partition. I have a 1:8" on mine.270 AI; it was built primarily for the 165/175 Matrix and now the 170 Berger. Accuracy is .5-.75 MOA to 966Y if I do my part without any issues. Mono bullets will also require a faster twist than lead core bullets. Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
My question to all is
Rifle damage
Shooter damage
Won't chamber
Bad accuracy
Other
thanks for the input
Mike

At any reasonable velocity, poor accuracy is likely. 1:10 isn't gonna spin 'em fast enough to stabilize.

I'd stick with 130-150 grainers in a .270. Proven to work by decades of hunter use on thosands (or tens of thousands) of deer.

Unlikely to be any rifle or shooter damage seated to cycle thru the action - but those long heavy bullets will be seated so deep you'll limit powder capacity & velocity.

721's typically are classics. Accuracy ranges from about 2.5 inches to around an inch at 100 yds, depending on the rifle. And the hunter.

Scheel's shows 145 gr ELD-X's available to ship at $45/100 (plus shipping). First place I looked, probably available other sources too at similar prices.

Seat 'em to cycle through the mag over a midrange load of 4831 or similar & you oughta be good to go.

Last edited:
My question to all is
Rifle damage
Shooter damage
Won't chamber
Bad accuracy
Other
thanks for the input
Mike
I've got a 721 chambered in .270 Win, that my father bought in the early 1950's. With a minor amount of load development, it's shooting in the .5s moa. I'll do some more load development when components become more available but here's a good load right now. I agree with the SWH above, for the .270 Win with 1:10 twist, the 130-140 range bullets are very good. It's probably going to struggle stabilizing the heavier bullets.

Remington brass
Nosler BT 140 grain
IMR 4350, 48.5 grains
Federal 210M primers
CBTO 2.831" to the lands, loaded .030" off

My question to all is
Rifle damage
Shooter damage
Won't chamber
Bad accuracy
Other
thanks for the input
Mike
Hey Mike,
I'll put a link to an article that might help you out. It really depends on the barrel whether it'll shoot the 165-175 gr bullets. https://www.handloadermagazine.com/270-winchester-0