1-8 or 1-10 twist for .223?

sambo3006

I'm looking at getting another upper for my AR in a bull barrel and those are my two options for rifling twist. I have a bunch of 40 and 50 gr Ballistic Tips on hand and would mostly shoot those. I know the 1-8 twist would give me the option of trying the heavier bullets like 69 gr but would it still shoot well with the lighter ones?

sambo,
I had a Savage 110FP in .223 with the 1-9" twist and it shot the 69gn bullets very well. I was stunned and very pleased when I shot some 55gn Ballistic Tips in this rifle. It shot them even tighter than the 69's. The heavy projectiles ran about .2-.3's, but the 55's produced .1's! JohnnyK.

I have a old rem. 78 1-12 twist shoots 50 grain. horn. sp in the 2's. My load is 28 grains of 760 . I have always heard the spin from the 12 twist makes it kill better. I dont know if that is a myth but if you had all the deer i killed with it in a pile from 1 shot kills you would be a long time skinning.
mike

I have a 1-8" barrel on my RR Varmint EOP and shoots both 69 gr MK and 50 gr Nosler BT almost equally as well. Only a slight edge to the 69MK in accuracy. I am shooting the 50s at just under 3100.

I think you'd be happy with the 1-8" as long as you don't go below 50 grains or push them too hard.

I had a 1:8 with a 27" bbl that shot 40g noslers well. It also shot 69 SMKs and 75 Amax well. It didn't like the 80 Bergers tho. Would't stabilize for the life of me.

I had a .223 AI with a 26" and it shot the 52gn. SMK better than anything else. Still shot the 75 A-MAX and the 80gn. SMK pretty good, just not quite as tight as the 52's. Funny thing is that it didn't seem to like the 69's as well as the others.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.