$1,000 Binoculars

When glassing you should be sitting, braced, leaning against a tree or glass from a tripod to keep you steady. I found 12x to be way better than 10x for western hunting. Spend as much as you can on glass, you will not regret it.

I have the 10x 42mm Zeiss Conquest, I love them. There are several good ones in the $1000 range. Just remember how much time you spend looking through them for what you spend on other things. They also last a long time buy once cry once.

Ok, its April 2022 and I am shopping for some hunting binoculars. 8x isn't enough and I think 12x will be a little to jittery for me, so I am going with 10x. My budget is $1,000. (No, I am not spending $2k on Swarovski's)

I was looking hard at Zeiss Conquest or Leica Trinovid HD or Vortex Razor HD.

Then I stumbled upon some reviews of the Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD.

Everywhere I search the Leupold's at $600 are compared side by side with the $1k Bino's above and stand toe to toe. Of course, I am concerned what I have read is just "marketing" and would like some real, first-hand experience.

Thanks for your opinions.

By the way, I am buying local and paying cash. The four above are available locally.

I haven't used their binos yet but the Tract Spotting Scope is absolutely superb and based on that, I would not hesitate to try their binos.

John

Ok, its April 2022 and I am shopping for some hunting binoculars. 8x isn't enough and I think 12x will be a little to jittery for me, so I am going with 10x. My budget is $1,000. (No, I am not spending $2k on Swarovski's)

I was looking hard at Zeiss Conquest or Leica Trinovid HD or Vortex Razor HD.

Then I stumbled upon some reviews of the Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD.

Everywhere I search the Leupold's at $600 are compared side by side with the $1k Bino's above and stand toe to toe. Of course, I am concerned what I have read is just "marketing" and would like some real, first-hand experience.

Thanks for your opinions.

By the way, I am buying local and paying cash. The four above are available locally.

Love my Leica Trinovid's! Hard to go wrong with them!

You might be able to find a used pair of Swaro 10x42 (non-HD) binos that fit within your budget. I can't tell you how many pairs I bought & sold before I found and stayed with Swarovski. Everyone was supposed to be 'same as' or 'comparable to' the Swaro's. They weren't.

I ordered multiple brands to try when buying my last set of 10x42s. The Leupolds were sent back.

I have to buy local, as I need to pay cash, but that is a great deal!

I'm really looking for comments about the Leupold Binos.
I own the Leupold BX4 Pro Guide HD, my best friend and lifelong hunting partner has the Zeiss conquest, both are 10x42. We both have ours set up on tripods for extended glassing sessions. In daylight conditions (cloudy or full sun doesnt matter) I feel the glass is comparable. My Leopold's have slightly more distortion around the outer ring than his Ziess but both high quality glass with good clarity. Where the Leupold suffers and the extra $$ for the Ziess comes in is in the early morning / last light conditions. My Leouplds have very poor low light quality while his Ziess maintain optical clarity much better. IMO if the extra money for the Ziess isnt a financial strain, and you feel the better clarity in low light will benefit your hunting style I would buy the Ziess. I am happy with my Leupold binos but wish they performed in the low light like the Ziess. However both are high quality binos.

When glassing you should be sitting, braced, leaning against a tree or glass from a tripod to keep you steady. I found 12x to be way better than 10x for western hunting. Spend as much as you can on glass, you will not regret it.
What about when walking/stalking and still hunting? Not everybody just sits still. And yes, if a person is sitting and glassing for game, they should be on a tripod.

I bought the 16X Sigs with stabilization....
Glass isn't the best...but once there's a little light showing clarity greatly improves......
They say don't look thru binos while in a car....well....with these you can see decent at 80mph......as a passenger......'haven't tried them while driving.....yet.....
I have, it messes with your brain big time.

Been using the STABI binoculars on the boat for years and if they don't shake in the boat- they sure not shaking on land. Also use mine up north hunting and they are 12x . They are a few dollars more but worth every cent- the newer ones have ranging and even higher power but are too large for hunting ( IMO )- Buy once and enjoy them prices -depending on who's you want- good luck and enjoy- Love my two pairs my 12 x are the smaller of the two, for the boat don't matter as long as one can see the birds and whales- almost TUNA time. For hunting its where do you do your hunting NE- SW- deer sheep ??? may want larger field of view so 8-10 x try them out- take them outside and scan make up your mind and $$$$ you want to spend after all its your $$$$$ not mine. Besides the binos I have radar with range rings and can see the birds off in the distance also, but need to see who is catching.

Last edited:
As the old saying goes " buy once, cry once". Same on any optics. Go someplace you can look through several at the same time.
I have a 55 year old pair of 6x30 Bushenell Custom Compacts I still use on occasion; a pair of Nikon 10x32 I love to carry; a Leica 10x42R which are just a hair sharper than a $2,500 set of Swaro 10x42 I also like. Day in and day out while hunting I'll carry the Nikons…light and quick to look through. Days I just sit and stare, I'll haul the Leicas or Swaros, but I don't like carrying them.
On a side note, I have read some people have been unhappy with the Leica warranty.
Best of luck in your decision!